Project Big Red

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a little progress. Cleaned for several hours. Still haven't found that damn bushing. Anyway, I pulled the old driver hinge off with the classic ford broken door holder. There was a little surface rust behind it so I sanded it down, dabbed a little metal prep on it, shot a little primer and paint on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bolted the hinge up loosely, and hung the door back on.

Couple notes. There is a long and short hinge pin. Long in the bottom, short in the top. I figured this out when I screwed up and put both long pins in one side. The replacement I bought was an Evan fisher hinge. The pin does not come out of it. This could be real inconvenient if the door needs to come off with the fenders on. Otherwise, it seems to be a decent piece.
And the other side.

I lined them up pretty close but there is some fine tuning to do.

Now to decide what's next.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not yet but did my taxes and looks like I can afford it so soon. [emoji6]

I'm just not sure what order to do things in. I have some fiddly work to like fixing the window regulator in the pass door, replacement of the wing window frame on the other side. Door lock poppers....

Part of me wants to just hurry up and finish the body work and paint it then do the rest of it but it seems smarter to do some other stuff first.

The problem is that once I start cutting and welding I'm pretty much committed. I need to check and clean up the lower door seams. There's just so much.

Sigh. Guess I'll just pick something and go.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i find that when you get to this point of a project,
where you have so much going on, and youre almost to the frustration point.
you grab a 6 pack, throw on some tunes, and have a couple beers.
sit your ass down with a piece of paper and a pen, and start writing down things you need to do.
after you write down the 3rd or 4th item/and/or beer. you will forget about the clusterf#&% in your head and start doing some obscure little job.

IMO paint is dead last, but do what you wanna do!

trucks are female. sometimes just sitting beside them does the trick.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wiped down the chalk board the other night once I got to it. :rolleyes: Time to make a list and start checking things off. The good news is that I have a little more space now so I can have a couple things going on at once. I started that list. The problem is prioritizing and order of operations. I'm usually pretty good at stepping back and looking at the big picture but I am down in the weeds right now and have to pull myself up out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the company but they have a non-turbo version. Since my cores are non-turbo blocks, I assume I will have to stick with non-turbo spec stuff. The slightly heavier internals would be nice but I'm not building a monster here. You can go to them direct too. You don't have to go through ebay.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may be worth a shot seeing if you can use a non turbo core for a turbo block.
im no where close to them, but the description i read, how they sleeve all their blocks, and the nice machines they have,
kinda makes me want to start saving up for one.
i could probably get it done for a bit cheaper on my own, but this one looks legit.

im a sucker for free shipping! lol
how does that price on e-bay differ from the price you got?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, I want to say at the time, the non-turbo was like 3200. With the add-ons and me suppling the valve springs and cam, them the studs, I think it was like 3800.

A few guys here have bought from them and have been very happy. Oldbull and Goose come to mind.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves, I want to say at the time, the non-turbo was like 3200. With the add-ons and me suppling the valve springs and cam, them the studs, I think it was like 3800.

A few guys here have bought from them and have been very happy. Oldbull and Goose come to mind.

That's a pretty damn good price, especially with a warranty. Factor in machine work, parts cost, etc., and you can get pretty close to that price doing it yourself (and paying for machine work).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how you proceed at this point it's tough. Sucks working around fresh paint, but sucks masking off a bunch of stuff. I prefer masking less and being careful more when assembling. Would be really nice to have the major engine and turbo work done before hanging the front end on.

Cab corners would probably be my next move. Then get everything in primer and then finish up the engine bay. Then paint the exteriors. In there somewhere would be jamming stuff out.

No wrong path at this point. Looking good. Let us know what you decide.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. It adds up quick. Anyway, meant to share this yesterday and forgot the picture. This was the contraption I put together to have enough lift for the tranny and didn't end up needing it. Turns out it works great for supporting the door with some help from a half pool noodle for cushioning. Holds the weight but you still have to guide it.

Then as IDIoit suggested, I started making a list.

Yep. It's long. [emoji23]

I was cruising fleabay the other night because I've been thinking about doing custom valve covers. I thought about finding a set of international valve covers, cutting out the raised letter section and welding it into my valve covers. But I found these.

They are decals made to go on valve covers to keep from having to paint them. I think I'll nickel plate the valve covers and put these on and maybe clear coat them. It would be something I haven't really seen and I think it will be a nice touch.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice!
that list isnt too long!
start chipping away at it.

X2 on the cab corners, get all the fab/welding done while you wait for mechanical parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online