E4od issue

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my Truck into aamco to have them check the Transmission, and to see if they can adjust my Tps sensor because the truck would shift a little later than did with the previous engine and they said there was all sorts of leaks and they need to take the transmission out. *** there is no leaks maybe some wetness from when it leaked when I was putting the radiator in.

Just a few months ago I took it too a different aamco, the one by my house and they said it just need 2 quarts,( because I had a leak) and they Said the Transmission was in perfect working order. Also I changed the transmission fluid and filter less than 200 miles ago.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
AAMCO spells "watch out". Why not replace the tps your self. Plenty here can walk you thru it. Just buy a new switch and have a digital voltmeter on hand. When you remove the old switch watch how it unwinds from the throttle tab. Just make sure the new one gose on the same way so its preloaded. I changed out the silly oem screws for the easier to get to 1/4 20 threads bolts with the 7/17 hex. I think they are 3/8 or or long. To set the switch make it key on engine off on a warm engine. Then set up the meter to the center green wire and to a ground on any battery. Turn the switch till you see 1.2 volts and set it. All this is done on a warm engine at the engine off key off idle position. Its just that simple. If you need to take this to pm form and I will talk you thru this by giving you my cell number. Once you do this simple job you will be thumbing your nose at those rip off shops wanting a left nut for doing a simple job. !5 years ago I paid a Ford dealership $125.00 and 2 day down time because I wanted it done. Turns out they got the wrong part so it took another day.. Screwed me but good. I never got screwed again on those tps items. This is not a dealer only itm either and these need to be changed out every 50 to 75 thousand miles. They are s simple rheostat switch where a metal tab rubs on a wire grid sending a voltage signal to the trans cpu.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Icanfixall, when they said it could have been a "coincidence" that the transmission would act up all of a sudden after changing the engine, that really mad me mad when they wouldn't pull the codes and not at least check the tps/fipl sensor, and it was a mechanical issue that they had to charge me $1150 to take it apart. So I will get her warmed up and head to napa they have the gray tps sensor for $56 and I will pm you if I have any more issues.

Thanks again

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key has to be "on" to energize the FIPL (TPS) circuit.

Tranny fluid may be low depending on how it was drained. It's an idle it to warm and top it up type deal, then cycle through the selector positions and re-check.

The E4OD also relies on the tach output. Is your tach working right with the new engine?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked the original and it came up as 0.9 but will install the new sensor

It wouldn't hurt to replace it. They are a resistance wiper... over time they can develop dead spots and abnormal output can goof with the E4OD.

Is the tach functional?

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the tach is functional and spot on with no wobbling.
Icanfixall mentioned the speed sensor in a pm that if it's wobbly at all it could also cause issues, my speedometer is accurate but at 55 - 60 mph it's a little wobbly.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I removed the speed sensor and it came apart on removal and I think there is a still a part of the sensor still in , and which one of these is the right one
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looking into the differential you should see the ring gear trigger that the speed sensor sees. I'm not seeing it so I'm thinking you have a piece to remove still. Bottom line, if the sensor came apart you need another one and that might be the issue. Sometimes the sensor picks up steel fuzz and stops working. The ends are slightly magnetic so they pick up metal.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pulled the sensor out, I got real nervous because I saw the the coil and the magnet.
I re installed the new speed sensor, and I figured why don't I open up the rear differential and change the fluid out. I saw that I have a sterling 10.5 limited slip and some really nasty fluid came out.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i set the new tps to .85 from 1.2 and it's much better
, but now I have a bouncy speedometer at about 40 mph even after a new vss, I bought one from a local parts store, could too much oil in the Rear differential cause this or is it just a bad part, I did drain out some excess but it wasn't alot.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I got the cap out, but it was a huge pain in the butt, the new vss wouldn't fit until I removed the cap. I think my issue now is the o-ring around the vss is slightly too large and will not completely sit inside the rear differential(causing the 60 mph speed bounce). Could I clean the hole where the vss sits and install it without an o-ring, and just use black rtv?