Junkyard turbo parts swap???

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With these trucks being so old now days is it a good idea to get all the parts off a turbo 7.3idi say at the junkyard to bolt on my n/a 7.3 idi? Obviously the turbo might need a refresh but what about all the exhaust re routing that id need to get my hands on? The swap seems easy as hell if you have the time. With that being said it might take forever to acquire all the pieces. Honestly I'm not going to drop 3grand on a banks kit but id like to have the factory turbo setup on my truck. Can I pull it off for under 500.00 bucks? Also living in Texas I dont have to worry about rusted parts donor trucks like you guys up north have to so I'm assuming most of the parts wont be to bad off.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I'd say yes you can just make sure to get all the parts like the oil lines an the valve cover and just little stuff like that.personaly if I was gonna do it Id throw a wicked wheel in it which is 200 and a 3inch dp which idk what that would cost Ya and a 4 inch exhaust that you can buy on eBay for around 3-400 that goes all the way over the back axle.i may be missin some stuff that will give Ya an idea cause idk what it'll cost Ya to get it redone just stock but If Ya have the money might as well make it better

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the idea sounds good but I have called 7 yards now with no luck. Just damn powerstrokes.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a hole 1994 7.3 idi factory turbo complete engine for 500 so I'd say you could do it for under 500. And like 83ford said a wicked wheel and 3in down pipe is a awesome idea. More air flow is always better! Doing the same thing to mine. Good luck!!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I don't think I could justify dropping 3k on a new kit either.. Used turbo kits pop up fairly often here in Utah and they're usually in the 200-500 dollar range. I try to post them on this board when I come across them in the classifieds.. Keep your eyes on craigslist, eBay and the Utah KSL classifieds (most people will ship) ;Sweet

Like said above make sure you get one that is complete. Those goofy cast pieces can be difficult to find. Also it's been said the turbocharger on the 2nd gen Banks (sidewinder) can be a bear to find parts for. Good luck,

Andrew

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the junk yards you got. Powerstrokes never last in the yards by me, but IDIs are all over. In the Pars Galore yard I counted 36 IDIs. I haven't been there in about a year though I am not sure how it is now , but they seem to always have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online