7.3 IDI Smokes at all times

horn12007

Reaction score
First off, I'm new to Diesels, but mechanically declined.
The other day I picked up a 7.3 IDI truck for cheap, but she smokes pretty good! (Along with several other issues).
It does it when cold and warm! It was roughly sitting since this spring.

So I'm thinking a fuel issue based on the smoke. The shop down the road "Pop" tests injectors for $8 each, but I can also get injectors for roughly $20-25 each with discounts. I do know there is fuel leaking around the o-rings on the injectors.

What do you think? Any help will be appreciated. (I have no idea if anyone has wrenched on the engine before so who knows? Maybe the IP was removed and out of time?) To me it seems pretty bad for just 1 leaking injector, but again this is my first diesel. To me the smoke looks "Dirty" not a pure white.

This video was probably after about 10 mins of running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77BI6c_gPs

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do two things.

1. Open the radiator cap.. watch for bubbles coming up out of the coolant, or coolant being pushed out the filler neck.

2. While it's running, hold a piece of white paper within 2 or 3 inches of the exhaust pipe.

If you have bubbles in coolant, or if you get coolant droplets out the exhaust, you have a blown head gasket... The "wet cylinder" will not fire off well and give you a "miss" indication.

Based on what I'm seeing on the video.. I'm guessing you are having a blown head gasket, and what you are seeing is water vapor out the exhaust, with some unburned diesel from the wet cylinder (s).

Wet fuel leaks at top of injectors indicate return line caps O ring leaking.. time to put in a return line kit for that problem..

But, I think you will have to go deeper.
Don't shoot the messenger...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What did the exhaust smell like?
Oh and those $25 discounted injectors might be "okay" but why not replace them with some worthwhile injectors that are pop tested? Say from Conestoga diesel, Typ4, or even r&d idi.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

horn12007

Reaction score
What did the exhaust smell like?
Oh and those $25 discounted injectors might be "okay" but why not replace them with some worthwhile injectors that are pop tested? Say from Conestoga diesel, Typ4, or even r&d idi.

The discounted injectors are actually brand new. I have a coupon and discount code with Advance Auto and when used correctly, you can get great deals.

I noticed afterwards that there is water in the radiator, not coolant. The previous owner said the engine had been swapped. When I replaced the starter, 1 nut was missing from the motor mount bolts so it probably was. To me it just smelled like diesel.

Hoping and praying it is something like the injectors, but now I'm doubting it. Will try to mess with it some later tonight.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I promise, they're not brand new. Lol
Yes, they'll be better than what you have now. Go for it then. Just trying to help you get a better product for your money.

Was the radiator low?

horn12007

Reaction score
I promise, they're not brand new. Lol
Yes, they'll be better than what you have now. Go for it then. Just trying to help you get a better product for your money.

Was the radiator low?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...92/10099950-P?searchTerm=injectors#fragment-4
Says it is new in the FAQs. Whether it is new or rebuild, I have never had a quality issue with most parts stores. I can get the injectors and return line kit for less than half of Conestoga's prices. It won't be the high quality Moose product, but I won't be driving this truck every day. Just a vehicle to pick up cars with here and there.

I haven't really been able to drive it much. The truck was driven 45 mins or so to my storage by the previous owner. The water level is at the top (or close to it).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Then I doubt you have a headgasket issue.
Try a heavy dose of quality Injector cleaner also.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...92/10099950-P?searchTerm=injectors#fragment-4
Says it is new in the FAQs. Whether it is new or rebuild, I have never had a quality issue with most parts stores. I can get the injectors and return line kit for less than half of Conestoga's prices. It won't be the high quality Moose product, but I won't be driving this truck every day. Just a vehicle to pick up cars with here and there.

I haven't really been able to drive it much. The truck was driven 45 mins or so to my storage by the previous owner. The water level is at the top (or close to it).

Look up liqua moly diesel purge tech 101 here extremely high quality diesel injector cleaner I did q how too and its a closed loop so nothing but injector cleaner gets run through IP and injectors...

Then if no improvement we can work onward

horn12007

Reaction score
Damn it guys! I was starting to get a little excited about the head gasket. No. The last time I've tried to start it, it hasn't fired. That video up there was the last time I had it actually running for a while. I had to kill air going into the engine because my ignition was bad. Previous owner did a "number" on some things so I have to clean up that mess.
The next day, I got it to fire, but for some reason I turned off the engine right after it fired. (I really don't remember why.) Tonight I tried for a bit, but you can tell the batteries are too low. Need to charge them up.

I was working on a saturn vue (that is on the back) and didn't get much time to mess with it.

Before I do anything else, I think I'm going to double check the IP timing. The intake gasket has been replaced. I can see the RTV. I noticed 1 of the 3 nuts missing on the IP. Idk why, but I have a feeling the IP is out of time. I sure hope so. Will look up a few videos/how-to on that)

Based on what I've seen so-far on this truck, I will have to double check previous work. Also gotta look into wiring harness/grounds/other things (but that is for a different day)

horn12007

Reaction score
1 more thing. On the fuel filter, there is a Shrader Valve. I pushed that in after cranking. Should there be fuel spraying when I push?

I'm use to FI Gas engines that will always have pressure there.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets try again...
There is a sticky about this issue , before ya toss cash at it, read up!
Do some recon, check out the ip, inj,timing, then after the cleaning up riotwarrior mentioned we can try some more radical($$$) stuff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online