6.9 rebuild

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about rebuilding a 6.9 for Maxine. I'd rather find another 6.9 to build and then swap out engines.
I have a few initial questions--
--What's a reasonable price for a rebuildable 6.9?
--Any particular issues I should look for in a builder?
--How heavy are these engines? I'm thinking my engine stand won't be stout enough.
Thanks!
Craig

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine weight is around 960 lbs. dressed. You don't want an 83 to 85 6.9.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the block number at the top front of block and compare to the list. The later blocks have bolt in piston cooling nozzles, the earlier ones are press in, and not as simple to deal with. The earlier blocks have been known to crack in the area of the block heater if the heater is used when the block is cold. As far as price goes, it can be all over, depending on condition, miles, etc. If you have room, a complete truck may be cheaper overall with all the spare parts.

Attachments

• Image (7).jpg
    Image (7).jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 59

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly the early blocks have some issues as already posted but that is not always a deal breaker. If you know of the early block issues and do not use the block heater you probably can run fine. but you never know. they also have pressed in oil cooling jets under the cylinders spraying oil up under the pistons. the later idi block have a bolt in oil oil cooling jets. Mush better block too. Many on the idi engines are completely interchangeable internals. About the oily item that wont swap is the pistons from the 6.9 to 7.3 or the 7.3 to the 7.3 turbo engine.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly though, my 83 block rebuild had slightly thicker cylinders than my 87 block. I just used it and went .030 over.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the block is really much different beyond the reinforcing around the block heater port.

However, the press in oil jets is a major issue - price out a set before putting any effort into an early block. There's no effective way to remove and reuse them, so you're pretty much forced to buy new. 8 years back or so when I did mine the cheapest I could find them was $40 or so each... for a quarter sized oil jet. :puke: That was a nasty shock to find out. Cost me more for those bloody little things than it did to have the crank ground and a full new set of bearings.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
So you can't use the block heater on the 85 blocks? Thought it was only the 83-84 that had that problem.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the split is early 85, somewhere around a Jan 85 build date. Both my 85s were dec 84 build and had IIRC engine sn below the cuttoff.

I believe the 'sidewall ribs' change at sn 173xxx listed above is the block heater fix, so if your engine sn is above that you should be good.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the block is really much different beyond the reinforcing around the block heater port.

However, the press in oil jets is a major issue - price out a set before putting any effort into an early block. There's no effective way to remove and reuse them, so you're pretty much forced to buy new. 8 years back or so when I did mine the cheapest I could find them was $40 or so each... for a quarter sized oil jet. :puke: That was a nasty shock to find out. Cost me more for those bloody little things than it did to have the crank ground and a full new set of bearings.

I used the special driver for them , applied thread locker and pressed my originals back in .

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were you able to get them out? Putting them in is easy, it's getting them out in reusable shape that is more difficult. You may be more talented than I, but I certainly had no luck managing it.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were you able to get them out? Putting them in is easy, it's getting them out in reusable shape that is more difficult. You may be more talented than I, but I certainly had no luck managing it.

Vice grips and a pry bar under the vice grips

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I tried and didn't have much luck. Oh well.

None the less, I would plan on getting new nozzles when planning out a early 6.9 rebuild.

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, fellas.
Looks like I need to be looking for a high S/N block.
Trying to find a good used late 85/86 6.9 locally is probably an exercise in futility.
Are there any reputable used diesel engine/parts dealers y'all could recommend?
I'd have to find someone here who'd be able to offload freight...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I made a special tool (modified vice grips) to remove and install the press in oil cooler jets, had no problems other than noting where to aim them. The aiming template is no longer available, take a photo before removing them.

Anyone wanting to use the special tools, just give me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online