Put away for the WInter, Pulling the Trans,..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well as far as i recall it was david85 who did a c6 to e4 swap.at least this is the only person i seem to remember reading about.i think it was a cool 4 mpg he picked up.
again though i did miss his GV unit so no doubt he probably can't count on so much as David's experience.
thats about what i payed for a nice hd e4 reman locally.a touch over 3k for chip trucks.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
This is highly debatable and you know it!!! All depends on how many miles he puts on the truck per year. The less he drives it, the longer it takes to break even with the cost for E4OD swap. $5k is a lot of money do dump all at once into something like that, if he's using the thing to make money like you do with yours then yes I could definitely see some merit to it, but if he's not then IMHO there are much better ways to spend that kinda cash.

Want some numbers, I got 'em for ya: we went from a 4-speed to a ZF last year, cost us like 200 for the trans and another 100 for clutch (practically brand new junkyard score) and oil, so about 300 total. Fuel economy improved by 2mpg IIRC, from 13 to 15. Assuming $3 per gallon that means cost per mile dropped from $0.23 to $0.20, so the savings were $0.03 per mile. It therefore would take us 10k miles to recoup what we put into the ZF swap. Now in our case we're talking <$500 so not that big of a deal overall, in his case we're talking 10 times as much initial "investment". Care to calculate how long it will take him to see a return there, not even profit, just return? Assume his C6 makes for fuel consumption as lousy as our truck with the 4-speed, and use your own average numbers for the E4OD. Ignore his GV for worst case scenario.

Good points, and thanks for the quick math on this, I was way too tired last night to crunch any numbers like this,..

You are correct, it would be 5 to 8 years before I recouped any cost with better fuel mileage. The truck only gets driven early spring through late fall. First snow it gets put away and not driven on any salted roads. Hard to say what the improved fuel mileage may be also.

That is also not taking into account My added Labor with the E4od swap, I am worth at least $9.00 an hour! There is some major expense right there!

Bottom Line I have had the C6 GV combo for 13 years, It works, Its bullet proof, and I Like It! I have mentally gone through the E40d swap a number of times and it is not worth the hassle, expense etc.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post

This is highly debatable and you know it!!!

Yeah, but it's a lot of fun reading these debates. More so than the Democratic debates. ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
9 bucks an hour... You should be flipping burgers for 15 bucks an hour.. Give yourself a raise man...:eek::rolleyes::sly:angel: I know what you mean about your labor cost. By now I SHOULD be a multi millionaire...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The only benefit I really see, is a locking converter. You can get tight converters for the C6, but its still not the same. But I do understand the money....

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I like the C6 because there bulletproof and if you do blow it up which is rare mostly it's the heat that kills them you can pick one up in the $150-200 range.
but to each there own ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I like the C6 because there bulletproof and if you do blow it up which is rare mostly it's the heat that kills them you can pick one up in the $150-200 range.
but to each there own ;Sweet

The E4OD is based off the C6 (as is the 4R100).

I know I'm beating a dead horse here. Darrin is happy with his setup, and thats all that matters!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have not been real active on here in quite a while but I am changing that and hope to be on here more often. Getting sick of some of the day to day FB stuff,.. Ugh,.. so I plan to do more here instead.

Got the truck cleaned up and tucked away for the winter. Hope to pull the trans in the next week or so and sent it out for the Performance Rebuild that I have been wanting now for 5 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

I upgraded my c6 torque converter to a Hughes low stall diesel towing version. Biggest difference I could notice was when the trans would downshift when slowing down it grabbed more. Almost felt like a manual trans when you would downshift and let the clutch out. I haven't towed a lot since then, so I can't comment on the performance under load.

Do you have any pics from when you built your spare tire carrier? I have been looking at different designs for mounting my spare to the rear of the van. I don't like most of the aftermarket options that mount the tire to the rear door.....heard too many stories about door/hinge damage.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I upgraded my c6 torque converter to a Hughes low stall diesel towing version. Biggest difference I could notice was when the trans would downshift when slowing down it grabbed more. Almost felt like a manual trans when you would downshift and let the clutch out. I haven't towed a lot since then, so I can't comment on the performance under load.

Do you have any pics from when you built your spare tire carrier? I have been looking at different designs for mounting my spare to the rear of the van. I don't like most of the aftermarket options that mount the tire to the rear door.....heard too many stories about door/hinge damage.

I have heard good thing about the Hughes TC, The Downshift thing is pretty amazing, the one that I have in mine almost freewheels when I downshift, Hardly grabs at all,... Hope the BD does well with that also.

ON the Rear Bumper it came from Cross Enterprises, Very Quality Stuff, and not cheap,.. Here is their website.

http://crossenterprises.com/