One decent truck out of two.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd take the starter in the first picture and bury it in a deep hole. That is the AC Delco starter and they were JUNK in my opinion. They're also a lot heavier than the Mitsubishi starters in the second picture. After I wrecked my old '85 F250 in '08, I pulled the engine, trans and transfer case out of the front end. NEVER AGAIN! to me it's easier to pull all three parts seperatly. Of course I also think that removing the radiator support to pull the engine is just a lot of extra work. I used to be able to R&R a n/a engine in a 9 hour work day and send it out the door in the customer's hands when I did it for a living.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I'm going to run the big **** starter for now and get the Mitsubishis (I have two) rebuilt.
I didn't know they would come out without pulling the front end apart. Makes it easier to work though.

I'm going to pull the TC tomorrow. If the RMS doesn't look too bad I will start to put this motor in red truck, otherwise I have to order a RMS and wait another day.

I don't work very fast. It's a combination of heat/humidity making me feel like crap, attacking mosquitoes, laying on gravel, and getting easily irritated.
At least I have the pos jeep to drive.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Got clutch assembly and bellhousing on. Hopefully start install tomorrow. Mosquitoes started biting even though I'm covered in deet.
You must be registered for see images attach

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
85 motor is now sitting in its new home and bolted to the t19.
Tomorrow I will put slave cyl back on, motor mount nuts, wiring, etc.
Slowly getting it done, 3 hours at a time.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I just noticed you said you hit the 560. We used to have a diesel until my brother traded it off for the equivalent of a dead dog. Thing could run all day long on barely any fuel, though it was a pain to start in winter and was where I learned how great this Mercedes head gasket coating is. Anyway, back to the program...

...... Only casualty was a front marker light on the Jeep when I ran into the bucket on the 560. Lol
Motor wants to come out but the damn drivers side lower dowel is stuck. :mad: Any tricks? I might have to pull motor and trans together and fight with it out of the truck.

You must be registered for see images

83s Last Run: http://youtu.be/IJI7nWB3BDw

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
It's gas. 4.3 i6 I think.

Only worked on the truck for about an hour, gave up after getting a stream of brake fluid in the eye.
Got slave cyl on and bled.

Hopefully will be mostly together tomorrow if I doesn't rain.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Another 3 hours of work done. Getting closer...
Got wiring done (I have deleted the stupid GPC and harness on the 85 engine), adjusted clutch, put in starter (the big heavy ******* for now), and some other little things.
I can also confirm that the fuel solenoid will click with 7v in the batteries.
I need a coolant circuit diagram for an 83 with no ac ("high output" heater).
What would cause the glow plug light to constantly be on? From what I can tell the wire that is supposed to turn that light on isn't even hooked up right now, and I know the glow plug solenoid isn't being triggered since that wire isn't hooked up and I checked to make sure there was no voltage on the GP side of the solenoid.

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score

Axle swap, bed, and fenders. Eventually. Tired of working on it for now.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Havent done much to it since the engine swap, mainly just been doing DD duty.
Interior is still stripped, no heat, etc.
Did finally get a redneck exhaust rigged up.

Did get the rear end swapped, but still no 4wd.
I dont know why I didnt think about it this summer and of course theres snow on the ground now, but is there any reason I cant just unbolt the center section from the black truck and put it into the red one? Theyre both TTB front ends and everything looks to be the same. I dont see why it wouldnt work and have already kinda started tearing it out of the black truck. I have to drill out the hub bolts and they are hard as hell (stupid superwinch cone bolts).

I am also looking for a brake master cylinder upgrade. Now that I have the rear disks in I have the typical "squishy" and sinking brake pedal. IIRC there was some talk about a 1.25" e350 MC that would work?

The plan was to cut up and scrap the black truck, but I may actually fix the floor eventually and put another diesel or possibly a 460 in it.

And it needs batteries.
http://youtu.be/QORHyA26adQ

Last edited:

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Just got this, hopefully will get it on tonight.

Any info on brakes or differential would be nice.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Started the front diff swap. Got drivers side torn apart on black truck. Hopefully have it done tomorrow.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Not sure why I keep talking to myself on here but guess I will post another update.

Got the carrier taken out of black truck, cleaned up and drilled/tapped a drain plug.

The carrier wasn't too bad to pull from black truck with no engine but I'm thinking it's going to be a pita to do on the red one, hopefully I can get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88