86' 6.9 I need a tach!

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1986 f350 in an XL and has no tach. I've read conflicting reviews on after market tachs for these trucks, what are my options and which is best?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291276984744?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Been watching that for about a month. Good price. All you need with it is the printed circuit for a tach cluster, those are also on eBay sometimes. I believe they are the same as for the gasser instrument cluster. If so, I have one, PM me if you want it. Then, a tach sender unit that screws into your injector pump gear cover, part # E5TZ-17B384-A

I purchased mine from partsguyed (Horizon Auto Parts), google it. It was around $70.

Might have to run the wires from it to your cluster if your truck didn't originally come with a tach. Pretty easy job overall.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the circuit card if anyone needs one.

I think all 84+ trucks have the wires already run, you just need the tach and sensor.

As for aftermarket, I am fond of the Isspro programmable type. They seem to want a higher input voltage than the stock tach, so you need a good sensor but otherwise are easy to use. I have also looked at installing a different type of sensor on mine but haven't done it yet.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed just the tach on my 4x4 without the circuit board. Solder wires on to the card in the appropriate places. So it can be done.

You'll pay pretty healthy for a complete dash, most of the time.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed just the tach on my 4x4 without the circuit board. Solder wires on to the card in the appropriate places. So it can be done.
So the wires from the fuse box, tach sensor, etc. are there on the connector for the cluster, but the traces aren't there on the board? I see the tach head has stud terminals. I'd be tempted to just cut the wires from the connector, then run wires to ring terminals to put on the appropriate studs.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wires from the fuse box, tach sensor, etc. are there on the connector for the cluster, but the traces aren't there on the board? I see the tach head has stud terminals. I'd be tempted to just cut the wires from the connector, then run wires to ring terminals to put on the appropriate studs.

That should work just fine. The printed circuit doesn't even go up onto the tach plate in a non-tach cluster.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Technically yes. That will work. Practically, you will have a pretty hard time unless you use a long jumper wires so you can keep the back of the dash far enough out to work on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online