Sludge on Lift pump.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my lift pump out yesterday and found what appears to be sludge on the arm. The previous owner had the truck looked at a local diesel shop and said on the invoice sheet that it had bio-diesel ran through it. Could that be causing it to appear on the lift pump arm? How could i clean the tanks to get rid of it? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20141121_173754.jpg
    IMG_20141121_173754.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 135

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like what coolant or moisture does to oil... have you drained the oil to see if there is any more of that goo? There's a slim chance it's a grease overused on lift pump install.

Bio itself is a good solvent and doesn't typically gel up like that on it's own, but it most definitely should NOT be there on the arm.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how long has it been sitting?
that looks like condensation to me.
in the hotrod boating world, we have to put up with this alot.
i would change oil and check for milkshake.
every season, i run a qt of ATF in the oil for a day, (1-2 hours of normal boating opration)
change again, and watch all that crap bleed out of the drain plug

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on ATF flush. I used to get the same crap from my SRT4 in the ccv catch can.

There is definitely something else, possibly quite detrimental, going on in your oil.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went thru "Oil 101 Fact or Friction" sponsored by UNOH. Pennzoil was considered one of the best Dino oils.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been sitting for a couple of months. I'm going to drain the oil and install the new pump today after work. I have a can of diesel kleen in the truck also. Can you get the ATF from a local auto parts store? I really hope it's nothing bad

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Any diesel rated oil will have more detergent in it than ATF so adding ATF to the oil is a gamble. If you want to actually clean things out get some type of oil flush.

Also penzoil is one of the best oils on the market like oldbull mentioned. No sludge issues that's a myth.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh.... truck still won't start!!!! I drained fuel tanks, added new fuel filter (pre-primed), and converted to electrical lift pump. I got all the air out the system and ran a line from one end of the pump into a gas can of fresh diesel and one end to the filter and still won't start. I charged batteries at work so I know they have a full charge. Could it be glow plugs?

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you hear a clicking sound/voltmeter on the dash going back and forth, along with a short wait to start light.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasnt running due to lift pump failure. Previous owner took it to a local diesel shop and had an external e pump hooked up and it idiled for a little bit but died. The wait to start comes on for about 10-12 sec then extinguishes. I hear a clicking sound and volt meter moves back and fourth.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-12 second wait to start light sounds normal to me, you may have a bad glow plug since it does click/ or a bad connector at the glow plug. What psi does your e-pump run at.

IDIn_It

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs at 4-7 psi. Its a Mr gasket 12D micro diesel pump. Wouldn't the wait to start light not turn on or go off really fast if the glow plugs are bad?