Fuel problem or ??

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again, my family and I just recently got back from out trip running from wisconsin to Jackson, Wyoming. Well on the return trip we ran into a few transmission temp problems and decided to take a different on the way home. Well here is the story we left Jackson Wyoming and headed as south. We ended up having to stop and do a transmission flush in cheyenne,wy because of overheating the fluid. Well we spent the night there and when I went to start the truck the next morning to do the flush it wouldn't start. I have good fuel pressure from the electric pump to the filter and into the pump. But when I was cracking the hard lines to see if I had good pressure there wasn't much(less then electric fuel pump puts out). So after 2hrs of trying to start it did. So we decided to do the flush quick and get on the road. (Ended up useing uhaul to tow the camper home). Well we made it from Wyoming to Wisconsin with out shouting it down for more then a hours time. So now with it home we have the same problem with it. So give me some ideas of what to check because I'm stumped on this.. Specs...93 f250 non turbo 7.3 with 4x4 e40d transmission. Thanks Joe

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You will never see the same amount of fuel from the Injector line's as you do from the electric pump. You would literally blow the engine to smithereens.
You didn't mention anything about the fuel filter..... or transmission filter.... or hosing out the cooling stack.... or if you have a aftermarket cooler.... or the clutch fan condition....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never see the same amount of fuel from the Injector line's as you do from the electric pump. You would literally blow the engine to smithereens.
You didn't mention anything about the fuel filter..... or transmission filter.... or hosing out the cooling stack.... or if you have a aftermarket cooler.... or the clutch fan condition....

Fuel filter I never replaced it since the problem. It's been within the year that I changed it out.
Wix Transmission filter, 20,000lb be cool trans cooler and added ams oil before we left.
Clutch fan has restriction and spins 20 sec after motor shut off.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Clutch fan has restriction? But if spins for 20 seconds after shutdown? Sounds bad to me.
Do you ever hear it lockup?

Change the fuel filter.
You changed the trans filter? Or that's the one that's been on it?

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch fan has restriction? But if spins for 20 seconds after shutdown? Sounds bad to me.
Do you ever hear it lockup?

Change the fuel filter.
You changed the trans filter? Or that's the one that's been on it?

I have never heard it lock up during the entire trip.
Transmission filter was done before we left. It was the fuel filter that was changed at the beginning of the year.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But from what it looked like I was getting just as much fuel out of the filter as the incoming line had. And when you do get it going it seems to run fine. After we got it going in cheyenne,wy the wife drove it for 9 hours and when we stopped for a 5hr rest I set my alarm to start it every hour. It did struggle a little but it did fire.And then we finished the 4hr drive. It almost seems like the injection pump drains back and you have to crank it to get the air out but I don't know if that is possible. Is there a screen filter on the inlet line on the injection pump?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Iirc, there is a filter of some sort.
IP could just be tired.
But you're still getting insufficient fuel to the IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you tell us how many miles are on the injectors or injectuion pump??? Your fuel system appears to have air getting in if it takes that long cranking to start it. Many times the seals called olives that are found in the supply line brass fitting at the filter inlet and the supply line brass fittings to the injection pump. These are called olives and can be found at better fuel injection repair shops everywhere. Even Mcmaster Carr sells them. A couple of members here, typ4 and Agnem both sell these also.
The brass fuel line fittings I mentioned ca be tightened up but if that stops the air leak you best be replacing these seals because yours are hardened and leaking.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us how many miles are on the injectors or injectuion pump??? Your fuel system appears to have air getting in if it takes that long cranking to start it. Many times the seals called olives that are found in the supply line brass fitting at the filter inlet and the supply line brass fittings to the injection pump. These are called olives and can be found at better fuel injection repair shops everywhere. Even Mcmaster Carr sells them. A couple of members here, typ4 and Agnem both sell these also.
The brass fuel line fittings I mentioned ca be tightened up but if that stops the air leak you best be replacing these seals because yours are hardened and leaking.
The injection pump and injectors with the olives were replaced about 2years ago at the same time. I did buy a extra set of olives and will have to see if I can find them. And install them just to Eliminate that off the list.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fan with a clutch should stop within a couple of seconds after the engine stops.20 seconds means it's junk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's what I thought. In my psd it stops when the engine stops. But I'm running ac 100% of the time, 205 thermo, and ambient Temps from 90-110F.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just info for you.
The trans filter never has to be changed unless there is catastrophic damage within the trans. or torque converter, the magnet in the pan will catch any metal wear.
A 4X4 takes a long neck filter.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys have a update for you.. I did take your guys advice. I ordered a clutch fan and did the olives on the feed tube to the injection pump. Well the olives must of been a part of it because it starts up on first cranking. But now it seems to be missing on one of the cylinders when running. I'm going to take it for a 20min drive and park it for the night. I will video tomorrow's start up to see if it will do it again.on the return home trip I did replace the glow plugs so we can eliminate that part for the miss.