Engine Ruined...

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I'm guessing your number 8 rod cap let go. This is what my rebuildable engine looked like when I purchased it from a guy on ebay. He had placed some dirt over the pan hole like you have. He told me it had high miles from so many trips back to home in Mexico...-cuss:***: I really should have revisited this fella but why risk jail time for $82.50. BTW I saved that engine and rebuilt it...
Oh wow...

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Wouldn't happen to have any interior parts available or spare engine parts? Better yet, would you be willing to ship the 6.9? My '87 is SHOT.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Okay everyone, got a question for you.

I haven't taken the engine out of the truck yet, so I'm not really sure of the damage.

What realistically should I do?

I've been offered a 6.9 engine block. Could I combine the parts from my engine with this engine block that comes with rods and pistons and crankshaft?

I really don't want to spend $1000 on this. I really just need to get this thing running again.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
For pure low budget get er back together I'd check the torque of all the mains and rods, maybe visually inspect the bearings to look for abnormal wear, swap heads and other needed accessories and try it. NO guarantees of course but doesn't cost much either.

Why was the perspective 6.9 pulled in the first place....?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
For pure low budget get er back together I'd check the torque of all the mains and rods, maybe visually inspect the bearings to look for abnormal wear, swap heads and other needed accessories and try it. NO guarantees of course but doesn't cost much either.

Why was the perspective 6.9 pulled in the first place....?

Waystro mentioned earlier he had pulled an engine due to overheat.

He said he'd ship me the block.

I've never opened an engine before, so I wouldn't know where to begin if I went through with this, but I'm pretty desperate.

I also got in contact with this guy http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/5193116458.html

He said engine had 80k miles. It's a short block with no injectors or pump and stuff, so I think it'd be the same as just the block.

As far as my engine goes, I haven't pulled it yet, so I have no idea the damage.

Any help from y'all would be so greatly appreciated.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Do some checking on this first. A short block has no heads, but the engine in the picture looks pretty complete at a glance. Looks like it's just missing the intake and fuel system for major parts. He could be on the up and up, just misstated his engine. He could also be trying to pull a fast one. If you've never oped up an engine before, I hope asomeone on here will help you look at your purchase. I'd be happy to if I lived closer. I'd also donate some internals if the shipping wouldn't kill a person.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Waystro mentioned earlier he had pulled an engine due to overheat.

He said he'd ship me the block.

I've never opened an engine before, so I wouldn't know where to begin if I went through with this, but I'm pretty desperate.

I also got in contact with this guy http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/5193116458.html

He said engine had 80k miles. It's a short block with no injectors or pump and stuff, so I think it'd be the same as just the block.

As far as my engine goes, I haven't pulled it yet, so I have no idea the damage.

Any help from y'all would be so greatly appreciated.
Yep the guy said that it overheated because the Raditator cap didn't get put back on
I'll be tearing it down for Op so he doesn't pay to ship it and it ends up have a cracked block etc
And if the Pistons look good I'll throw them back in
I also mentioned that he should take it to a machine shop so they can check the bores etc.
From a visual inspection it appeared to be in good shape block wise. We will know more Saturday.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find an RTO engine, and toss yours into the recycle bin.

Eli

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a complete 6.9 that I just pulled. Ran when it was in. But I'm in mass. I'm sorry to hear about that man. I'm in school and trying to swap in a 7.3 idi turbo and restore mine. That just sounds like a horror story. I hope she's up and running soon. Good luck if you need anything off the engine just PM me

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
I have a complete 6.9 that I just pulled. Ran when it was in. But I'm in mass. I'm sorry to hear about that man. I'm in school and trying to swap in a 7.3 idi turbo and restore mine. That just sounds like a horror story. I hope she's up and running soon. Good luck if you need anything off the engine just PM me
Will do man, I appreciate it.

Gonna pull some long hours at work so I can get an engine that works.

Situation sucks, but stuff happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88