Testing injector pump

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Tried to bleed air out of IP and got nothing out of the lines at injectors but did get a weak stream at the return port. Is the IP gone weak and how can I test it? If not, what would be the cause of this? If I can get fuel at the injectors, Good chance this old thing will run. I do know, that as soon as I pulled one battery off the charge and put it on, hit the starter, It spun at the proper speed. But let the surface charge die off some and it slows back down.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this thing sit for a long time? Stuck plungers are going to require a lot of cranking speed to overcome, if that's what is going on. A slow crank is definitely your enemy either way.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Who knows how long its sat. Tags don't mean anything. I've had it for a year now and haven't run it or tried it. It was in the back 40 in a field behind a "mechanic" shop when I found her. Was there long enough tires were starting to sink and lose air.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If this truck has a standard trans try push or pull starting it. That way possibly you can make enough fuel pressure in the injection pump to unstick the plungers as stated in Mel's post above. He owns Conestoga Diesel of Pa and if anyone knows these pumps.. Its Mel. If the truck is an auto trans sorry but its time for a replacement pump.
Now if you choose to replace the pump please do not purchase the cheapest pump on ebay. For sure do not buy from a seller that tells you "I worked fine when I took it off". When you think about a used injection pump you are not getting a pump that has plenty of life left in it. Also please read the Hall of Shame above for pump "dealers to avoid. These sellers got into the Hall of Shame forum by cheating people. This id community is a small group of close owners. cheat one of us and you cheat all of us.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
No, auto with C6. IF it is the IP which it looks like, Where would be a good place to get a stock replacement? I've glanced at the wall of shame and wow...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we knew where you are , might be some loaner parts.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an IP from a parts truck that you could use but I really don't know the condition of it...

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Anything is worth a shot. Can't be worse than what I have. Probably an algae farm inside. The fuel was rust brown when it first started pumping out...

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Since the condition is unknown, Could we make some kind of deal like a "deposit" and it shipped here? I have an extraordinarily long list of parts that I need to replace that are either missing or dead...