Extra power, then died?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving home on the highway last night and out of nowhere it had more power than ive ever felt before from my idi. It was as if a gremlin snuck in there and cranked up my fuel pump all the way. Boost remained constant at 2-3 psi which is normal. My first thought was "F Yeah!" but then I realized this might be something wrong.
I pulled into a store parking lot right around the corner from home, went in for milk and left it idling for a few. The idle was real rough, then it stalled as I was rolling into my driveway.
Today it cranks over good and fast but wont start. No sputtering, no white smoke like it usually does on a cold morning.
Tanks are full so im not looking at the pickups yet, but I havent even tried the other tank yet.

My buddys coming over this afternoon to turn the key for me so i can check fuel flow.

Any thoughts on this one? Especially the extra power thing

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly the symptoms I had with starvation. When my truck had clogged pickups, and it would start to starve, I could tell because all of a sudden it would take off like a bat out of hell.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly the symptoms I had with starvation. When my truck had clogged pickups, and it would start to starve, I could tell because all of a sudden it would take off like a bat out of hell.

X2
you may have had starvation this whole time, it dislodged for a sec then worked its way into a place that clogged the system completely.
good luck

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try switching tanks, for starters.

On the second tank, after cranking for 10 seconds it sputtered a little, then fired up for 1 second, blew a nice big cloud, and died. 15 minutes later I was able to get it to do that one more time.

While examining the schrader valve, i noticed 2 wires not attached to anything, right by the filter, and one spot on the filter where it looks like a wire should go. Im gonna look for some close up pics of filters on the net to see if i can determine where they should go. Boy I'll be happy if this is just a loose wire.

Batteries were getting a little low so im taking a brake for a couple hours.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted this is fuel starvation. Whats happening to make the engine run so well is air is pushed into the injection pump along with the fuel. This air changes the internal advance so the engine runs really well. Its not something we like doing because of the extreme advance. You might have a plugged fuel filter or a weal mechanical lift pump. As for waiting to have someone crank the engine while you bleed off fuel at the filter try doing this. The passenger side fender has a solenoid mounted on it. Remove the push pull wire from the threaded terminal. then jump that to the terminal side with the battery hot cable on it. Its usually the side thats closest to the firewall of the solenoid. Its the side that has most of the wires connected to it. Just follow the heavy cable back to the alternator or the battery hot cable. Just a note here. We have 3 items that have power going to them all the time. They need a trigger to draw power. These are the starter, the alternator and the glow plug solenoid. If you ground the wires feeding these items you will get a huge spark and usually burn or melt the wires. Both batteries are feeding these items so there is around 2000 amps waiting to ground out if you make a mistake.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless those loose wires go to the FSS, they're not the problem. Once you're cranking, the FSS is the only electrical component required to run the engine. Just guessing, but if those wires are near the filter, they're probably for the fuel heater. But if you're getting it to bark occasionally, then the FSS must be working, and indeed, this sounds more like a pooched fuel pump or clogged filter - starvation upstream of the IP.

The RIGHT, SAFE way to crank the engine while under the hood is with a simple remote switch, something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7853-Remote-Starter-Switch/dp/B0009XQUKW/ - on the starter RELAY (the SOLENOID is on the starter itself). If you don't want to wait for shipping, your FLAPS should have one, and Horrible Fright (Harbor Freight) stocks them as well.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While examining the schrader valve, i noticed 2 wires not attached to anything, right by the filter, and one spot on the filter where it looks like a wire should go. Im gonna look for some close up pics of filters on the net to see if i can determine where they should go. Boy I'll be happy if this is just a loose wire.
One came off the vacuum sensor, i dont think that would cause fuel delivery problems. The other looks like it goes to the bottom of the fuel filter housing, but that feels to be a threaded drain on the bottom of it.

...The passenger side fender has a solenoid mounted on it. Remove the push pull wire from the threaded terminal. then jump that to the terminal side with the battery hot cable on it...
Much better idea than putting a catch hose on the schrader!!

Ok so Im getting lots of flow at the schrader valve. Next I popped the line off one of the injectors. It drips out very very slowly. Is that normal or should it be spraying out?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be Fsv going bad. Do some searching here and see if you have any other symptoms. The fuel gauge will be unreliable if that is the problem but look for one tank being full when it shouldnt be or empty when it shouldnt be.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless those loose wires go to the FSS, they're not the problem. Once you're cranking, the FSS is the only electrical component required to run the engine. Just guessing, but if those wires are near the filter, they're probably for the fuel heater. But if you're getting it to bark occasionally, then the FSS must be working, and indeed, this sounds more like a pooched fuel pump or clogged filter - starvation upstream of the IP.

I did run the tank really low on sunday. Filters up next.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disconnected the outlet of the fuel filter, its flowing real well there. Closed that and opened 2 injector lines, just a very slow drip from them.
With the key on, I unplugged/plugged the FSS wire, and it does click.

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I replaced the fuel filter today. With the filter outlet line disconnected, it flows out of there pretty fast now. Still just drips (if that) from the injector line I i disconnected next.
Do I need to remove all 8 lines to bleed the pump?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very little fuel drips out the end of the injector lines. Best to hold the throttle wide open when cranking to make more fuel available. As for leaving the lines open I suggest you do what Mel taught me once. Tighten the hard lines at the injectors. Crank for 10 or 15 seconds and allow the starter to cool for 2 minutes. During the cool off crack open each injector line nut. Listen for escaping air and watch for fuel mixed with foamy air. Tighten and crank again. Do this till you get only fuel. The engine will catch and fire off but sometimes run ruff till all the air is purged out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont' mess with your injector lines, unless its too late! No need to bleed the lines, as the pump will not pump air without fuel to push it. Just get fuel to the pump and it will start again. Cracking the lines will probably just let more air in, then out.