6.9 idi starting problems

Fordrunner

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 1985 Ford F-350 with the 6.9 idi. I redid the brakes all the way around on it. It ran fine up until a couple days ago. Now it won't start, I tested the batteries they were no longer any good. So I replaced them with brand new ones. Now it won't even crank, I have lights and everything. It just doesn't do anything now when I turn the key. So any help will be greatly appreciated with this problem. Thank you

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL. Go out with a small wire and jump point #5 to point #3 in the diagram below. What happens?

You must be registered for see images

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have something missing or not wired correctly. #3 should have battery voltage on it. #5 is the terminal to make the solenoid click. I am wondering now if you have a ground problem. Do you have a testlight or voltmeter? Do you have power at #3?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*****'d battery terminals will give this problem.
replacing batteries is great, but if the terminals are not cleaned, you still have a gap.
i use bladed battery terminal tool to scrape it to shiny metal.
check all grounds also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So what amp barry set did you install? These batteries needs to be about 900 to 1100 amps EACH. The cables will need cleaning on the ends too as will the new battery posts. Tighten down the clamps and then test the terminal and then the clamp voltage with a voltmeter. Be careful because that cable running directly to the starter is hot all the time. If your not believing this get under the truck and test it. Also never try working on the starter unless the battery cables are lifted from the battery first. You have about 1800 to 2200 amps just waiting to ground out at the end of the starter cable. Its enough amps to melt that ring to your finger or make 2 wrenches out of one.

Fordrunner

Reaction score
MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL. Go out with a small wire and jump point #5 to point #3 in the diagram below. What happens?

Alright the battery wasn't connected when I was trying it but with it connected it turned over the engine but wouldn't start

redvetracr

Reaction score
Alright the battery wasn't connected when I was trying it but with it connected it turned over the engine but wouldn't start

is the key on? I have a 94 sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn`t but with the key on I can always jump it as shown above, something in the column I suspect

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have air in your fuel schrader valve?
did you change your GLOW PLUG MODULE?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now you are getting somewhere. Will it crank with the keyswitch? If so, are the glowplugs working? Wait to start light is coming on and all that stuff?

Fordrunner

Reaction score
When I turn the key I have no power at all. I still have headlights and everything but no lights on the dash.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
**EDIT** (had the wrong year in mind) - Try jumping the clutch switch. Switch is the plastic gizmo on the pedal arm. Pull the connector and put a jumper between those two terminals on the connector. SHIFT TO NEUTRAL (since you're bypassing the safety feature) and try starting it with the key.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Look at point #3. There are lots of smaller wires with large ring terminals there, and they power the whole truck. Make sure one did not drop out of site and is laying around somewhere not hooked up. I don't believe on these trucks any of the smaller wires should be on point #6, so check that also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online