SCAN YOUR POWERSTROKE BEFORE POSTING!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for "friends" i only charge a 6 pack.
and said friend has to help me drink them while we scan.
for someone i dont know, that takes care of their truck, the price jumps up to a 12 pack.
i drink all 12. maybe ill give them 1 or 2.
if i dont know you, and its appearent that you dont take care of your truck, the price is $200.
and i will advise that any shop will do it cheaper.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
See my opinion is, if you scan for free or real cheap, you're more likely to get business or repairing the vehicle. And generally the quality of the repair is better.
Then ones trying to charge a ton of money just for a scan seem to be back yard mechanics that don't really know what they're doing and are trying to pay off that expensive scanner they bought.
I don't know, just how I feel about it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
See my opinion is, if you scan for free or real cheap, you're more likely to get business or repairing the vehicle. And generally the quality of the repair is better.
Then ones trying to charge a ton of money just for a scan seem to be back yard mechanics that don't really know what they're doing and are trying to pay off that expensive scanner they bought.
I don't know, just how I feel about it.

That's because too many of my "friends" want me to do it all the time for them for free. Nuh uh. Not the way the world works. I paid good money for my system, so I'll be damned if someone thinks they can take advantage of me just because they're too cheap to buy it themselves. Now, someone in a bind? Yeah, I'll help them out. But not under normal circumstances. It's gotta be something special, and I have to be in a good mood.

Also, in my experience, shops charge $80-$100 for a scan, but will waive the fee if you decide to have them do the repair work. Keeps people honest, and stops them from using the shop's "free scan" and then going home and doing the work themselves.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a backyard mechanic jasper lol, but I'm not trying to get anyone's business. I don't want to work on anyone's car but my own. I'll only scan friends cars and if they were real friends they would atleast bring a 6 pack!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I get what you're both saying.
But at that price, I'd trust the dealership over a private individual.
And I definitely get not doing it for free. But I wouldn't be charging $100 a pop for something I only paid a few hundred for.
Now say flow testing injectors, I get where the price comes from.
But nearly anyone can run a scanner.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i bought my scanner, i was told that he had 20k invested into it. now it may be complete bullshat, but if its true, he got robbed. lol by me and by snapon... i wonder what else he has forsale.....

farmiron

Reaction score
when i bought my scanner, i was told that he had 20k invested into it. now it may be complete bullshat, but if its true, he got robbed. lol by me and by snapon... i wonder what else he has forsale.....
the sale price and the actual market value of any thing from a new car to a used ****** depends what the buyer is willing to pay ,factoring the variables cash credit warranty,availability ,if the seller overpaid chances are he wants top dollar including buyer remorse sur-charge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online