Subways DT360 into my 94 F350

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
what kind of transmission is do you have, does it not have an overdrive.
The transmission is the spicer es42-5d, 5 speed that came with the engine. It has a great low first gear but is not an overdrive. I have a lead on an overdrive but would need to sell the zf I pulled to pay for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score

So I actually drove my truck to work today. Stock this injection pump leaves a lot to be desired. It feels like the engine hits the Rev limit before the turbo can even spool. It takes some lugging in gear to get any boost and it hardly has any boost.

Running down the highway like i mentioned I can get it up to a max of 65 with my tire size, that puts me at a max engine rpm of about 2400. At 65 the pyro is at about 6 to 700 on flat ground and water temps steady at 180. It does not want to get hot even with no fan. Boost is about 1 to 2 psi, I think I saw a max of 4 pulling a hill hard. These are just some baseline numbers before I start to play with some settings. I think I really would like an overdrive or some taller tires to help with rpm's.

More to follow

Yeah, I'm sure they set it up so the operator couldnt possibly do any harm to the engine no matter how they drove it.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Take 10 minutes and just pop the fuel screw out... You'll crap at the difference. Lol. Then tighten down the aneroid valve, gov springs and bump the timing up to 20-24. Wish you were closer, we could trade trucks for a couple hot laps!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

subway

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure they set it up so the operator couldnt possibly do any harm to the engine no matter how they drove it.
I bet that is the case because I could stand on the throttle and it would never hurt itself. I took Jon's advice and cranked it up tonight. I turned the fuel screw up a good bit and cranked the governor springs 4 clicks a side. Holy crap that woke it up! I had to pop some seals to get into the pump but it was worth it!

You must be registered for see images attach

I still need to set timing and probably crank the fuel up a bit more but it scoots now. It would beat my idi now in a race lol. it's weird, it's like playing a game on flat land to get the engine to boost before I hit the governor. I still only get about 5 to 6 psi or so on flats but if I am on a hill and the turbo spools it puts you into the seat and hit 17 or 18 psi empty. I can hit about 75 mph to but still really want an overdrive or taller tires.

Anyone want to buy my zf to fund an overdrive transmission? [emoji1]

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is if you're this happy with it empty.... You're gonna have permasmile once you have the fifth wheel hooked up behind the wet sleeved IH beast!

Heath

subway

Reaction score
I think so Heath, I have thought about hooking up the 5th just to test drive it around and make sure the pyro stays in check.

I suppose I didn't really mention it earlier but while I was working on the engine my wife was wire wheeling and grinding down any rust in the cab. She also went over it with some encapsulator when she was done and now the cab looks like this.

I want to get the cab back together so I drilled out several seat mount bolts that broke off and laid the vinyl back in.

I am getting good at re sharpening my drill bits by hand lol. I chased the bolt holes with some taps, added some grease and mounted the seats down with new grade 8 hardware. The back seat is now fully in.

subway

Reaction score
The front is a little more work though. The rat fink shifter was kinda cool for about the first 2 test drives and after that it just got on my nerves. It was hard to shift anything faster than a leisurely pace and it was hitting my seat.

This is after I did some straightening with my hydraulic press. After I bent it where I wanted it to be I figured out the height and cut it down. I took away almost half the height and it is probably still a little longer than a stock shifter.

After that I welded a new grade 8 bolt on the top for the knob and smoothed everything out with first a grinding wheel then a flap wheel. This is how it is looking now.

I finally sealed and bolted down the cover with a shifter boot on top to. The drives should be a lot less windy and hot now on my legs!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Take the fuel screw right out. I think mine was getting hung up. I kept getting a flat spot in my fuel curve. And when you did the gov springs, you tightened both right? When I did mine I accidentally only did one. Then had to measure them to match both.

subway

Reaction score
Yes I made sure I tightened both governor springs. I marked the one so I knew which one I was tightening. I am thinking that is what is going on with the boost. It's almost like a switch. When I am accelerating it's either no boost or suddenly it comes on and goes. I will try to set the timing and pull the screw tonight.

On a side note the truck is much nicer to drive with the transmission cover bolted down and a correct height shifter. It should be even more quite when I get the insulation and front vinyl floor in.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Also the aneroid valve will retard fueling until boost comes on. That could be why you're seeing it late. Mine will throw a black could, then boost and clear it up. With the aneroid stock it wouldn't till I was under good load.

subway

Reaction score
Pulled my first of many loads tonight. It does not look like a bunch but it is a decent load of wet wood. I still do not build hardly any boost in 1st or 2nd but when I get to stretch out a little more in 3rd and 4th it pulls hard. The modified shifter works very well to. Overall I am real happy, she pulls like a freight train and even with no fans hooked up it never got above 180 deg F on the steep back roads. They pyro was just fine to. I might have hit 1000 pushing it ******* a steep section.

It by far is out pulling my old idi and I have not touched the timing and still have the fuel screw in.

The trailer is a 6 x 10 if I remember right.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Semi float axle looks goofy on that truck.

Good to hear she's on her way to being a beast though!

subway

Reaction score
Semi float axle looks goofy on that truck.

Good to hear she's on her way to being a beast though!
Yea, I have a full float axle to put in when I "get around to it" lol that's just the way I got it.

Just sold my old zf5 and transfer case within 48 hrs of placing on Craigslist! Not bad, now I got the ball rolling to get a overdrive through Jon! Hopefully I can get it in before I go camping in 2 weeks.

subway

Reaction score
My truck started to develop a low rumble when I first took off from a stop so I decided to check out the drive line. It took me about 30 seconds to figure out my transfercase bushings were giving up. I was going to replace them anyway since they were cracking but the torque took pretty good care of them quickly. Placed an order into summit and 2 days later I have them in hand.

The old ones really split out.

i tightened the new poly bushings in and put a cotter pin in them to replace the old safety wire and the rumble is gone. Back to smooth starts.

I also sprung a leak in the fuel system. The return line that ran under the manifold rotted out.

A few seconds with the cut off wheel to remove the crimps and I replaced it with some fresh 3/8 hose. Now it's back to clear start ups right away.

I also tightened up the v band clamp on the turbo to stop an exhaust leak that was starting to show. Just cleaning some things up that are showing up now that I am driving the truck regularly.

I still need to get some fans under the hood. I am thinking this might happen with a shroud that can be disassembled to put in place piece by piece. I really don't think I have the room to just slide a whole set up in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck looks and sounds great Jared. Great to get to see it in person. ;Sweet