Turbo time thanks to head gasket leak

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Weekly Update

Been getting a lot of rain here, practically every day, so most of what's been done over the last week has been in the shop..
I fabbed up two small radius turbo exhaust pipes and got the V-band flanges welded on..
Did a little surgery and got post intercooler charge piping in place. Looks like I'm going to have to use a spacer under the intake hat to get piping to clear the injection lines.
Took some thin wall 4" O.D. aluminum tube and cut two 4" sections for the transition from the 3" proper silicone & alum. tube intake section to the 4" Sch.20 PVC Redneck intake section.
Also picked up a 1/8" NPT tap and drilled & tapped the compressor outlets and installed tubing elbows for the boost control tubing. The 1/2" (8AN) Teflon/SS braid hose for hot oil return should be here tomorrow.

Questions-
Should I run 1 pyrometer or two? Is there "typical" for parallel turbo setups?
Oil supply banjo bolts supplied with turbo were too long and bottomed against flow restrictor in hole,
so I took restrictors out, thinking that mid section of turbo probably had nothing to impede the flow
through to the drain side, so no overpressure (i.e. smoky turbo) should occur, right?

Attachments

• GEDC0092.jpg
    GEDC0092.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 44
  • GEDC0075.JPG
    GEDC0075.JPG
    817.6 KB · Views: 37
  • GEDC0074.jpg
    GEDC0074.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 37
  • GEDC0082.jpg
    GEDC0082.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 34
  • GEDC0093.JPG
    GEDC0093.JPG
    793.3 KB · Views: 30
  • GEDC0087.JPG
    GEDC0087.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 29

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Egt is really just to save your engine, not turbo.
So just one.
But if you run it hard or whatever, just give it a few minutes for cool down before shutting it off.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
niiice, i like your v band oiutlets, I too am doing v bands on mine.
Thinking of fabbing my own headers tho, to turn up like PSD ones, eliminate as much hot piping.
looking forward to final results

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
niiice, i like your v band oiutlets, I too am doing v bands on mine.
Thinking of fabbing my own headers tho, to turn up like PSD ones, eliminate as much hot piping.
looking forward to final results

I checked the price on headers for our engines... OMG! I can see why you'd fab your own.. Since I haven't pulled the engine yet I haven't checked- but are the exhaust manifolds cast iron or steel? If I need to mod the driver side one, that'll def make a difference.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i read the driver side can flip upward onto passenger side. that would solve the silly 180 bed you would have to do on passemger side. Im still toying with the idea of fabbing psd style headers vs just making a cross over pipe, and then a traditional looking Y pipe if the passenger side is flipped upwards. sorry to hijack yer thread

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's essentially what racin did.
You must be registered for see images

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who makes headers for these idi's besides Stan's? I too have been thinking someone needs to make them since the 7.3 and 6.0 powerstroke's have them...

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i end up liking my own design and you guys like them maybe we can work something out for production?
I am leaning more and more to making my own. I dont have a tubing notches but I have a plasma and can cut any desired cutout i need.
I prefer V bands myself for hot pipes, great fit and seal and easy to take apart for service.
on mine wha tim thinking are to have V bands in the red circles,
I would be using justins flanges
ok now im really hijacking OPs thread. Exiting now!
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Same thing I posted. Lol
But I would avoid any and all slip fit joints. Do something like for the powerstrokes.

Just to get rid of any common leak points.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
i read the driver side can flip upward onto passenger side. that would solve the silly 180 bend you would have to do on passenger side. I'm still toying with the idea of fabbing psd style headers vs just making a cross over pipe, and then a traditional looking Y pipe if the passenger side is flipped upwards. sorry to hijack yer thread

If I have figured it right, there should be 24 clocking combinations that will still allow the wastegate actuators/rods to align for proper function- and both turbos are going to be under the front floorboard area on each side of the transmission, so if things fit the way I think they will, I shouldn't have to use any of those 180° bends- hopefully...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a retired engineer from the Navistar engine plant in Indy and at some point before the 6.0L came out, Navistar built some really nifty prototype engines and presented them to Ford as a possible replacement for the 7.3 PSD. One of them had the exhaust ports at the top of the engine and instead of an intake manifold there, the turbo bolted down in the Vee and sat on a special exhaust manifold. The intakes were where the exhaust manifolds are now. He said the engine worked very well. Ford didn't buy into it, obviously, citing various installation issues. Basically, they would have had to do a lot of component relocation and underhood changes to make that system work.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking to a retired engineer from the Navistar engine plant in Indy and at some point before the 6.0L came out, Navistar built some really nifty prototype engines and presented them to Ford as a possible replacement for the 7.3 PSD. One of them had the exhaust ports at the top of the engine and instead of an intake manifold there, the turbo bolted down in the Vee and sat on a special exhaust manifold. The intakes were where the exhaust manifolds are now. He said the engine worked very well. Ford didn't buy into it, obviously, citing various installation issues. Basically, they would have had to do a lot of component relocation and underhood changes to make that system work.

Funny thing is, now fast forward to present day, and that is exactly how the 6.7PSD is set up, they have reverse flow heads, with the exhaust into the valley and the intake on the outboard side of the heads.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup pretty much any factory turbo V engine is like that now..makes so much more sense, audi gas and diesel v8s are like this for example. or bmw v8
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online