Oil leak problem!

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil leak problem!- updated!

OK guys, I need advice. I have an intermittent oil leak problem. There is oil getting blown all over the engine, even to the point of coming out the passenger side wheel well. I've been having puddles for a while, so about a year ago, BJ tried to replace the CDR with a RDT, and all that did was pour oil everywhere, at a rapid rate. So he put the CDR back in. He also replaced the oil tube going to the turbo, that was about 6 months ago, as he he could see aleak coming from there. It seemed to slow it for a while, but now its leaking oil pretty good again, but it only does it intermittently. It appears to be getting blown all over the engine compartment, and its dripping from several places under the truck. You can't see the leak from above the engine, and below, there is so much oil coming from so many places that its hard to tell if its coming from the same place finding different ways down, or is it several leaks. The drips are all from the middle of the truck to the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your oil pan for rot holes.also takeittoa car wash andget it as clean as you can and let it run while watching for the oil trails.i just did oil coolergasketson a truck with a serious leak.oil was everywhere as you stated.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Tanya, ;Sweet avitar :hail

GaPchNCrm said:
The drips are all from the middle of the truck to the passenger side. Any thoughts?

With that much oil hemmoraging.....has BJ checked the rubber "bung" grommet in the valley pan?

On your turbo model it will be a flat top plug.

Might be a good idea to remove the shifter pan {under the mat] and give a look see at the oil pressure port at the top of the block and get a better view of whats happening at the base of the turbo......

Glad to see you guys still in the IDI world :cheers:
GEO

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
He also replaced the oil tube going to the turbo, that was about 6 months ago, as he he could see aleak coming from there.
What about the turbo drain? Maybe pull off the exhaust from the turbo and have a look too.
Good Luck
James

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, This problem is really bugging the crap out of me. The thing that bugs me the most is how it only leaks bad sometimes. not all the time.

Is there Any chance that the CDR valve could be bad causing this the be so spuratic

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
BJ tried to replace the CDR with a RDT, and all that did was pour oil everywhere, at a rapid rate.
Do you have excessive blow-by that might be causing a build up of preasure?? The oil all over might be more of a "burp" from somewhere with the CDR on.
Just thinking out loud....

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GaPchNCrm said:
OK guys,
BJ tried to replace the CDR with a RDT, and all that did was pour oil everywhere, at a rapid rate. So he put the CDR back in.QUOTE]

Tanya

I had similar woes. Probably caused a positive pressure scenario in the crankcase. So, now that the leaks are there, they'll continue on/off till the crank pressure is negative again.
When you put the CDR back on, there is slight vacuum when the engine is running over about 1,000rpm, but below that, there is little to no vacuum, and blow-by will cause oil leaks. The CDR is just a diaphragm valve, and if air passes through it without restriction, then there really is nothing serviceable about the thing. Some folks believe cleaning it helps, but once you see the inside of one, you'll realize that cleaning it does absolutely nothing...

Most likely cause is the valve stems and seals, and possibly the rings. So short of an engine rebuild, this is likely something that you're gonna have to live with.

Now, having said that though, there are a bunch of places that can leak, and if you can find them, and get at them, you may be able to dismantle a few things and try to reseal them(valve cover gaskets cdr grommet etc.)

Couple more places that I found on mine(it leaks like a seive) are where the CDR meets the manifold(rubber grommet leaks and oil drips down on to the pan and out the back) and the seal around the top center and bottom center 2 bolts on the water pump(these connect to the oil passage down the front of the engine), and the seal around the bottom of the injection pump timing gear cover.

Good luck with it...

Zigg :)

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Try tightening the valve covers a bit?

Is it worse on the drivers side? If it is, I'd suspect one of the oil cooler gaskets

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJ, I see you and Tanya have nice new avatars. She rides horses (among other things I'm told :Sly ) so hers is familiar, but are we to assume your driving for Old Dominion now? ;Sweet Anyway, I think the real key to finding the source of this leak, is to get the engine clean, and try to run it on a dyno, since it appears that the leak is motion induced in some way, and the wind is making the source impossible to identify. An oil pan leak is possible, but I discount it for two reasons. One is, I think the leak would be more centralized to the center of the truck, and not getting spewed everywhere. I also think you'd be clean from the leak up. Based on the discriptions it seems like the whole back of the engine is covered in oil, so a top down leak seems more likely. When you tried the RDT, where did you come off from? The oil return sounds like a definite posibility, as does the rear main seal.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated! It isn't good!

Well, we washed the engine yesterday in an attempt to find the leak. Apparently this washed away buildup that was holding at least some of the oil in the truck, and it dumped it all. I headed out to go shopping for my oldest daughters birthday ( She's 12 today!) and got about 7 miles from home and noticed my oil guage acting goofy, so watched it- it dropped. Pulled over, put the few quarts I keep "just in case" in it, limped back to the auto parts store about 3 miles back, watching the guage jump all over and praying it would be OK... put 2 gallons in it and got it home where shes parked. Now here is my delimma- I need to find a good diesel shop in my area. The few shops around here I wouldn't let change my oil, much less tear into my truck. I could wait and let BJ do it, but with his work schedule, and only having weekends to work on it, I'm afraid it would take several weeks to get it done, and I can't be out of my truck that long. I have been referred to a place in Douglasville, Ga called " Higgins Ford Performance" (http://www.higginsfordperformance.com/ ) He said he has 2 certified diesel techs... Any thoughts or suggestions?

pafixitman

Reaction score
deeproots is in Willecochee (something like that) not sure how far away that is. he may be able to assist or know of someone.

My sis in Lilburn is more on the tree huggin' side of the fence.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem said:
BJ, I see you and Tanya have nice new avatars. She rides horses (among other things I'm told :Sly ) so hers is familiar, but are we to assume your driving for Old Dominion now? ;Sweet Anyway, I think the real key to finding the source of this leak, is to get the engine clean, and try to run it on a dyno, since it appears that the leak is motion induced in some way, and the wind is making the source impossible to identify. An oil pan leak is possible, but I discount it for two reasons. One is, I think the leak would be more centralized to the center of the truck, and not getting spewed everywhere. I also think you'd be clean from the leak up. Based on the discriptions it seems like the whole back of the engine is covered in oil, so a top down leak seems more likely. When you tried the RDT, where did you come off from? The oil return sounds like a definite posibility, as does the rear main seal.

Mel, yes Tanya does ride other things too :D , But i think you were too Busy LOOKING at her flashings to remember that i worked for Old Dominion at the last rally. ;Sweet :rotflmao sorry had to take the chance to rib you a bit.

Anyway I did crawl under the truck and seen that the rear main was not the problem. I put the RDT in the valve cover where our cdr valve is at. Was this wrong? I have given into sending it to a shop, I Don't have time to fix it myself. We need to have it fixed fast and with me only having weekends off it is better to have it fixed.

And of course The horse showing season is upon us and we NEED the truck now!

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
You might try Atlanta Truck Maintenance--they have competent diesel techs, and one of them, Tony, I think, knows the IDI's pretty well. They are located in Woodstock, which may not be close enough to you. They are just down the road from Dixie Speedway if you know where that is just east of Bells Ferry Road north off State Highway 92.

PM me if you need further directions. They may be reached at 678-445-1300.

They work on all kinds of diesels.

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gabby! Have you ever heard anything about Higgins? Woodstock is a good hike away, and since we are having her hauled in, I'd like to keep it a short a distance as possible, but I also wants someone GOOD lol We are only about 45 minutes from Douglasville....

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Tanya,

I was afraid Woodstock might be "geographically undesirable". Don't know about Higgins. The ATM guys are good--just a "fir piece" from where you are--would be a considerable towing bill.

Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you get things fixed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online