steering shaft help

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone quick question can the steering shaft can slide in and out of the gear box I only ask since I swapped out my cabs and now my steering shaft seems 10x times sharter then it was and dosnt even reach into the cab anymore so thanks for any help

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First your post is lacking TONS of info.

What year chassis?

What year cab? Where Cabs of same generation?

Too much missing info to be able to provide an accurate diagnosis.

Answer those questions and maybe we can help

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad sorry. My truck is a 92 truck ext cab long bed 7:3idi 4x4 the cab is from a 93 f150

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, it's collapsible.
So if you get in a wreck, the steering wheel won't crush you.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was all rusted up to the point it wouldn't move. I ended up pulling the column back to get it off the steering box so be prepared that you might have to put some muscle into it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just a note about the steering shaft fit. At the firewall the two shafts can only be assembled one way. It might look like the connection is symmetrical not its not. When I worked on my slip joint spring I mixed up the connection when I tried to reassemble it at the firewall. So after many hard words spoken in anger I finally figured it out and got it correct. Please mark the firewall connection before you remove the shaft. It sure will save you some issues. Also that bolt thats goes thru the two pieces is really tight. It was either 13 or 14 mm too. Its not 1/2 or 9/16. That too took me some time working on my head way down in there to figure out.