Learning to Trust A Different Truck .......

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 91 350 7.3 IDI for 10 years (bought in '03) , it had it's quirks but I trusted it.

Getting my 95 F250 PSD in the next week or so (Seller is having it checked and starter replaced first). How do you learn to trust a different truck? I guess driving it short distances, then longer, then hauling my trailer short distances.

This was why I took so long in downgrading from the 350 :rolleyes:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I jump in and go. The last pickup I bought was a 92 1500 chevy that I purchased on eBay back east. Flew out and drove it home. By the time I got home, I trusted it (it died 6 months later though).

I picked up a 99 Montero Sport recently for my off-road needs, since a 350 will beat the hell out of your kidneys. It has 275,000 miles on it....I took it 100 miles out into the desert the day I bought it.

I like to tempt fate.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What you will have to get used too, is having a much thinner wallet if you ever need repairs.

Only if it's engine related, even then, you can get a quality rebuilt hpop for around the same price as an injector pump.
Injectors are more, but last longer than idi injectors.
Of course there's a few sensors that may go bad. CPS being most common. IPR being most expensive, but not as common to fail.

My testing the water's is on the way home from picking it up.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
bought my 96 in mich , it had some issues I knew about, drove it 6 hrs home without a problem.
anything can break down at any point in time, even new ones.
just had a2012 company truck with the 6.7 ask politely to pull over when safe, then 10 seconds later shut down. all due to a faulty egr sensor

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything can break down at any point in time, even new ones.

Exactly. I treat all my trucks (and that stupid fn TDI jetta) like that cheap, diseased, backstabbing ex-girlfriend that would like nothing more than to self destruct permanently and violently at any second. I don't set myself up to be shocked or disappointed

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Exactly. I treat all my trucks (and that stupid fn TDI jetta) like that cheap, diseased, backstabbing ex-girlfriend that would like nothing more than to self destruct permanently and violently at any second. I don't set myself up to be shocked or disappointed

LOL. Love it. Thanks for the new sig line.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't be driving it home, it has 3 1/2 very bald tires :rotflmao Already called my wrecker guy he will be bringing it to me. My dad has 4 good tires( he used them two weeks) the same size that came off his 03 , but he is in Fl, he will be bringing them up end of July. My plan in the meantime is seeing about some decent used ones, there is a local place that sells used for $25 M & B , will be pulling off wheels and hauling them there. I will also look into the items that were suggested to be looked at and replaced until that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online