Controller/relay issues

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, I got sick and tired of having to put the canned heat to my truck in the mornings. So out I go, broken finger and all, to replace the GP controller with a known good one I had here. I even replaced the relay with a BRAND NEW FORD one.

Ok, I put the controller on the truck, and turned the key on. I have fire going to the little red wire...this turns the controller on.

Next, the little white wire that goes to the controller is getting grounded through the controller....I checked with my meter.

The ground is clean, solid and tight.

I have power going to the live side of the relay....big lug. It's getting power DIRECTLY from teh batteries...no yellow wires in the engine harness anymore.

You must be registered for see images attach

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW IT IS WIRED AND SHOULD BE WIRED. I just want to be clear...I checked it 5 times, and verified EVERYTHING....ther are NO mistakes made on my part....I wanted to be SURE of that!!!! lol

This is what happens. I turn the truck on, the WTS lights comes on, and stays on for 15 or so seconds. There is power going into the relay on one side, but it seems the relay won't cross over and let the power through.

I don't want to blame it on the controller and go out and buy a brand new controller if it's a relay problem.

I am off tomorrow, so I may go get another relay.

Normally I wouldn't ask, but with my busted finger....turning wrenches is becoming harder and harder as my finger gets sore and swells up....I on;y want to do this once.

What would you guys change, the controller or the relay?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you apply power and ground to the relay (there should be a diagram on the side of the relay) and nothing clicks over (for added info you can put a meter on the output leg) then it is fried.

With a broken finger might be hard to manipulate tiny alligator clamps :(

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That`s what I thought....I can`t get the relay to click manually or with the controller....****** me off becuse it was a BRAND NEW FORD PART......most likely made in Mexica or China like the rest of them.....

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you try swapping with a similar relay in your panel that you know works? I have some relays in my glovebox, but you're kind of far.

Unless you lure me with steak and chocolate....

Oh the things I will do for steak and chocolate haha

gandalf

Reaction score
I think that if the relay is wired correctly, and doesn't perform right, then the relay is bad. Replace the relay--they're cheap enough.

Danielle, you need to come out here for a visit. We have real good steak at our BBQ GTG's, plus some other trimmings. On top of that, I'll supply a chocolate bar for you. I buy them at Trader Joe's for $5.00. They are SOOOOOO good. The combination should be enough to lure a sweet young lady like yourself out here to the left coast.

Attachments

• Chocolate 72% Dark.jpg
    Chocolate 72% Dark.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF7735.JPG
    DSCF7735.JPG
    888.1 KB · Views: 5

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, here's what I got....I CONFIRMED I have 8 working GP's....CONFIRMED!!!! lol.

I have power to the big stud on teh relay, power to the small stud on the relay, and when the controller kicks on, I have ground through the other small termional until the WTS light goes out.

Power WILL NOT come through that relay. I too think it was a bad one from the get go. I bought another today, ford had none left, so I went to a parts store....oh goodie....a chinese part....

Turns out I can only get a FENDER MOUNTED STARTER SOLENOID. Should work just the same I fuggure....I got my old controller in front of my right not, and I am going to stick the new relay on it...go put it on the truck and re-test....all the while with a busted fingertip.

That is all.

Thanks AGAIN for all the help, I really do appriciste the replys...Chris.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, turns out the controller that was on there is SHOT!!! I put another controller on there with that fender mounted solenoid.....presto. GP's are firing on all 8 again.

Found out today that the local Canadian tire store sells complete relay and controller for $208.99 plus tax. Beats the local international dealer by a LOT!!!!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power WILL NOT come through that relay. I too think it was a bad one from the get go. I bought another today, ford had none left, so I went to a parts store....oh goodie....a chinese part....
There are rancor *spelling* relays that are heavy duty compared to these that people like to use. its not a straight replacement part though.

I would try triggering the relay manually before trusting the controller, otherwise your trying to figure out if the relay is bad or the controller or both:eek:. But if the trigger wire is hot and the ground is good and the big post has power but not the other, it is the relay.

good luck