And so it begins....Restoration of the ol IDI

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
And so it begins....Restoration of the ol IDI, Parts truck Strip Down, Completed.

We've been getting really nice warm weather so we started striping down the parts truck. Were only keeping the cab off this one. All other rust free body parts are up for sell, along with many other parts of my previous parts truck (1990 short bed).

When we bought this truck, it came with an extra box, doors, fenders, hood and front bumper all of witch will be used to restore the F250.

My previous parts truck had all brand new body panels on it, but with power windows and all that garbage, I want nothing of that, so there also up for sale.

Heres what we got done so far. The cab should be off the frame within the weekend of by next weekend, we still need to find a place to store all the stuff I have in the box of this truck, some rare Ford van parts, a tranny and an engine witch I want to keep.

The cab does need some work on the back wall near the corners, and drivers side front rocker, other than that, it's perfect shape!

1 more problem with it, it's an XL cab, so it had all that useless plastic trim inside witch will NOT be used in the diesel, the Diesel is a Custom and will remain a Custom, nothing inside, no headliner, no carpet, no plastic anywhere inside the cab. So I have to spot weld all the screw holes.

We are keeping the original interior of the Diesel truck, and transferring everything in this cab once fixed up.

Heres the doner, 1988 F150 XL 5 speed (originally a 4 speed)
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm keeping this nice shape Rad Support for my '89 F150 as it's rotted out at the buttom.

Todays interior work.

Last edited:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
UPDATE today

Finished striping the cab to the bone, all theres left to do is unbolt the 4 cab mounts and lift 'er off the frame!

****** Also discovered the fire-wall is cracked and separated over a 1/4" where the clutch master is. Gonna have to order me a fire-wall plate from a guy on here (freebird)?? to fix this, or maybe I can re-use to one in the Diesel.******

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
It's been in the upper 50F's here for the week. The snow banks went from being 4-5' tall to almost nothing!

Yes they do :D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good sofar, goodluck! I think that's the right name, either way his website was http://terrapinmfg.com/, I remembered it off the top of my headLOL:sly

Without the plastic she should last a ton longer, will you be making your own door sides? Pm me how much you want for the electronic window stuff too please, shipping might be w bit though.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only the turbine rims were 8 lug....you dont see those much any more. Looks like you got a lot done.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the turbines, they are my favorite, your makeing good progress keep up the good work!!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
^^^

Oh my god! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I laughed sooooooo hard when I read that! :D:D

If I knew how, that would go in my signature for sure!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be worse...you should have seen how my neighbors (uber-rich Palo Alto yuppies) reacted when I tore my truck's engine apart in the driveway in the summer of 2004...they were ready to lynch me after all was said and done :shocked:

That's quite a bit of progress for one day...I guess that's what happens when you start before sundown :D (I tend to be nocturnal)

My previous parts truck had all brand new body panels on it, but with power windows and all that garbage, I want nothing of that, so there also up for sale.
I'm honestly not trying to be obnoxious, and I'm sorry for asking again...but that doesn't by chance include the red XLT door panels you pictured in an earlier thread, does it? :angel: