Replacing Ball Joints

Torstein

Reaction score
This years routine check ended up with instructions to replace upper and lower ball joints on the front right to get the vehicle approved.

Is that sensible to do myself with normal hand tools outside in the back yard? I've done it myself on smaller cars, with mixed success. Balljoints tend to be difficult to get loose, and I am that experienced I know when the instructions tell you in some simple notes to "remove" something or "dismantle" something the day might well be ruined .

I have read both Haynes and Fords Technical Support Publications, but I am uncertain how big this beast will bite me in doing this job.

I guess some of you might have some experience to share. What is the hard part (if any)? Is it any Do or Don'ts?

Thanks!
Torstein

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also used a pickle fork on the bottom balljoint to get it off of the knuckle. beat the pickle fork couple of times then beat on the upper ball joint till all fell apart. Torch really helps too. As far as getting the actual ball joints out I just used a hammer to beat them out, not reusing them anyway. Putting them in it is nice to have a press just to keep from ruining the new ones.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Just got done rebuilding the whole front twin i-beam front end on my dads 90 F250. Its SWEET when you get done with it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'll help you out but you have to give me more info on your vehicle.
Is it 4 wheel drive? solid axle or twin I beam?

Torstein

Reaction score
Thanks to you all!

I backed off this one, as I got a good price by my Ford workshop :eek:. The workshop I normally use should have about USD800 for the job, but Ford only charged USD 550 - all included. Not a bad price in expensive Norway. The parts are about USD 300 alone.

As I have lived a fairly happy life without acetylene torch, impact wrench, and air hammer I guess this was an ok deal.

Thanks a lot for your inputs and your effort in helping me out. I like doing the work myself, but have learned some lessons and have bad emotions for balljoints ;Pissed. - And from what you wrote I read - Don't do this job yourself Torstein!

Best wishes from
Torstein.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks to you all!

I backed off this one, as I got a good price by my Ford workshop :eek:. The workshop I normally use should have about USD800 for the job, but Ford only charged USD 550 - all included. Not a bad price in expensive Norway. The parts are about USD 300 alone.

As I have lived a fairly happy life without acetylene torch, impact wrench, and air hammer I guess this was an ok deal.

Thanks a lot for your inputs and your effort in helping me out. I like doing the work myself, but have learned some lessons and have bad emotions for balljoints ;Pissed. - And from what you wrote I read - Don't do this job yourself Torstein!

Best wishes from
Torstein.

You couldn't hardly buy the beer and bandages to tackle those pesky little things for $550 :cheers: sounds like a decent deal ;Sweet , especially since you're a little out of range for the parts stores we're always yaking about with the free tool loaner programs, and things like decent quality ball joint presses start gouging some pretty big holes in your wallet.

----Robert

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That was an AMAZING deal! The last one we took in cost us over $1200 and we said never again because that was just flat out rediculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online