Oil change nightmare

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Changed the oil in the 94 this afternoon.. Took me 3 hours! :eek: I started by poking a hole, in the bottom of the filter and let it drain. While it was draining, I decided to take the 4wd shifter assembly out for it's own lube job. The shifter assembly operation went quite well and I now have 4-lo...

When I finally got back to the oil change, I tried to remove the filter... The keyword being TRIED.. Either it was put on with an impact wrench, or had been on the truck for quite a while. I doubt it had been on there long, since the oil was fairly clean. Since I just got the truck, I wanted to change the oil ASAP...

I tried removing the oil filter with a strap wrench, but that only made the filter body collapse. I then tried an oil filter wrench that I bought at NAPA and ended up breaking it. Next up was a screw driver through the filter body, but that was also fruitless.

With the filter housing collapsed, I was able to grab it with a pair of channel locks.. That only allowed me to rip half the housing off of the base. My options seemed to be slipping away quickly. I figured it was time to improvise and fashion myself some kind of spanner wrench. I used a U-bolt that I had lying on the work bench. I bent it, enough to fit in the small holes in the filter (The ones you usually ONLY see, from the other side!) and tried it. It took a few tries, but the filter base finally started to budge. I had to keep adjusting my home made wrench, so it didn't go into the holes too far and hit something above it. Filter finally came off and got launched across the garage floor! :backoff

I'll post some pics, of what's left of the filter tomorrow.... I have NEVER had that much trouble getting an oil filter off!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
been there, done that, got the t-shirt, i would love to throttle the gorillas that do that

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I think the guys at the oil monkey shops think it's funny or something the way they crank those things on. When I first got my 84' it had been serviced by JiffyLube last and I had basically the same experience - I've done all the changes since and the filters have never seized up on my like that first one. Freakin' imbeciles.

Nevermind that the sob's want like $80 to change my oil, *** is up with that? 4 gallons of 15w40 Delo is $40.00 + $6.00 for the filter. $45.00 in labor? MFG.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
wonder if the PO forgot to lube up the o-ring before installing it with a 10 foot pole.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That would have been my guess too....No oil on the O ring gasket before it was tightened on there. Usually, once it starts to get snug, I grab the filter with both hands and go 1/4 more of a turn. That is all that they need, along with a film of oil on the gasket!

Just a reminder for everyone, which I am sure we all know anyways..make sure that the gasket comes off with the old filter. Nothing seals like an old gasket stuck to the housing, and then another gasket form the new filter on top:rolleyes:. I am sure we have all been here once or twice!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
That would have been my guess too....No oil on the O ring gasket before it was tightened on there. Usually, once it starts to get snug, I grab the filter with both hands and go 1/4 more of a turn. That is all that they need, along with a film of oil on the gasket!

I agree with that... Hand tight, nothing more...... I was fortunate enough to have my son helping me.. That old filter wouldn't have come off, without his help! He was pushing on the oil filter wrench, while I was using the channel locks.. Granted, there wasn't much of the filter left for him to push on! He also filled the new FL-1995 for me and made sure that the gasket was lubed up!

Just a reminder for everyone, which I am sure we all know anyways..make sure that the gasket comes off with the old filter. Nothing seals like an old gasket stuck to the housing, and then another gasket form the new filter on top:rolleyes:. I am sure we have all been here once or twice!

Very sound advice! I was shocked, when the old filter finally came off.. The mating surface was quite clean.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Here are pics of what's left of the filter...

You must be registered for see images attach

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
:angel: R.I.P.! You showed that filter whos boss! When we replace oil filters at the dealership they get one more use. We burn them in our wood furnace. Then they are just a melted mass of metal. Take that filter!:backoff

aaklingler

Reaction score
I would rather do that and I have then find them loose and leaking and I've found them that way also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online