10 lug front axles

82fordtruck

Reaction score
What axles can you get with 10 lugs and disc brakes?

I should say reasonable axles, like a dana 60 or 70.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All F450 4X4's I have babysat are marrmon-herrington modded trucks. Every single one of them are modded D60's. There's two in a local yard in Santa Clara, I can grab some pics in a few days if you need so. I don't think I have ever seen a D70 under a PG&E or a local FD F450 4X4. It might be a serious case of overkill since the GAW of a F450 is 5k.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
OK, I had guessed that would be the case. It appears that the dana 70 isn't really any stronger in weight carrying anyway.

Is there something particularly unreliable about them? It seems that a transfer case would fit right between the tranny and e brake, and the axle bolt right on?

I have been itching to do a cummins conversion, and was toying with doing it into a F450 with a zf6 and 4wd. I will be buying a tractor in the spring, and sooner or later a new trailer, and wanted something more substantial to move it with, so that I can go clear up to 26k w/o worrying about it.

Is this a bad idea for some reason? I like the obs quite a bit, and don't want to do a newer one.

It's Calvin, right?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
OK, I had guessed that would be the case. It appears that the dana 70 isn't really any stronger in weight carrying anyway.

Is there something particularly unreliable about them? It seems that a transfer case would fit right between the tranny and e brake, and the axle bolt right on?

I have been itching to do a cummins conversion, and was toying with doing it into a F450 with a zf6 and 4wd. I will be buying a tractor in the spring, and sooner or later a new trailer, and wanted something more substantial to move it with, so that I can go clear up to 26k w/o worrying about it.

Is this a bad idea for some reason? I like the obs quite a bit, and don't want to do a newer one.

It's Calvin, right?
yea...its me :D
there's good and bad about a F450 offroading. heck even OTR, the suspension will ruin your kidneys. If you do go through with this, get yourself a airsprung seat. Your whole body will love you. My carrier has a long wheelbase, so the cracks in the pavement is not as harshly felt. My wheellift truck is positvely uncomfortable. But both will make you a good living. Just no drinks in the truck. If you do go 4X4, finding a e-brake mounting on the back of the transfercase is going to be very pricey. You be better off with a divorced style NP208 which will drop the price slightly and might give you better driveshaft angles too. That's how the three I babysit every so often are equiped by. Keep in mind, the trucks were spec'd by a local utility company, so they want as many common parts as they can get. PM "greenbeast6.9" he might still have the divorced transfercase setup from his truck that he is parting out.
good luck! ;Sweet

baker

Reaction score
10 lug axles

I am currently doing a 4wd axle swap with my F-650. I put a older face loader Rockwell axle (stud piloted) into my truck. It came out of a ex-powerline truck (F-700). They have ratings of 7500, 8500, and up to 9000 lbs before you jump up to the next class of axles (near 18K). Most of the axles come with drum brakes or air brakes. I working on doing a disc brake conversion on it. The gear ratio is something to consider, most are a really low ratio (5.29 to 7.17). I checked into Marmon-Harrington, they will do a conversion, but you will pay dearly for it. They would not just sell me an axle, I had to bring my truck to their closest authorized installation rep, (Texas or OK.) and have them install it.
I would try to stick with a 60 or 70. Hard parts are hard to find for the Rockwells. The F-450's that I have seen use an adapter to convert a Dana 60 or 70 (8 lug to the 10 lug). The adapters are similar to an adapter to convert a front axle to a front axle for a dually truck (F-350). I am not sure about 550's.

djnsj

Reaction score
hate to hijack this thread, but where have you seen the 8 bolt to 10 bolt adapters for the front end? on a D60 frt end. I'm wanting to do the same thing and can't find the adapter.

sign_man

Reaction score
Air Ride seat?

the suspension will ruin your kidneys. If you do go through with this, get yourself a airsprung seat. Your whole body will love you.

No joke, my ***** test showed a trace of blood when I went to get my health card renewed and the doc asked if I had been jarred around. My F-Superduty hammers me. Where do you get an airsprung seat?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No joke, my ***** test showed a trace of blood when I went to get my health card renewed and the doc asked if I had been jarred around. My F-Superduty hammers me. Where do you get an airsprung seat?
google up "national seating" depending on your year, it's going to hurt in varying degrees. They don't have a listing older than '92 but 80-97 has the same floorpan contours. the '99 and up also share the same floorpan contours.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to call them in the morning to check if they make a set for the older rigs. I wouldn't mind running a set of 22.5 on my 87 4X4 just for the insane mileage they last

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Look for an ambulance package F450 and check the air ride rearsuspension. Made by Reyco/Granning. My F 450 ex-ambulance rides like a Lincoln Towncar and with the air bags ( same as road tractor ) the load ability is not compromised at all, in fact the capicity for weight is actually higher.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's good and bad about a F450 offroading. heck even OTR, the suspension will ruin your kidneys. If you do go through with this, get yourself a airsprung seat. Your whole body will love you. My carrier has a long wheelbase, so the cracks in the pavement is not as harshly felt. My wheellift truck is positvely uncomfortable. But both will make you a good living. Just no drinks in the truck.

i hate the way my carrier rides but i also redid the rear springs with the HD spring pack and multi leaf helpers :D i can put 13,000 pounds on it.when the helpers touch the pads thats it she sits level and looks perfectly legal to be carying the wieght.but even before i did the rear springs i hated the ride.when it was a wheel lift it was a long wheel base as it was a vulcan twin line with tunnel box.it wieghed about 13,000 empty and it rode like a caddy.i loved the ride when it was a wrecker and miss it but the carrier makes me more money since i dont need a special plate to tow an unregistered car on the deck.ive always had drinks in it,coffes,sodas,iced coffees,never spilled one even useing the cup holders in the middle of the 20-40-20 seat.

youd be surprised at how much better the ride is when you put a GOOD seat that wasnt fat assed in it.or have your seat foam replaced.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 450 4x4's I've seen locally are utility trucks and use a cheezball unit bearing 60 front end with metric 8 to 10 lug adapters. I bought a whole wrecked truck chassis from them for $300. Had the hardest time selling the axles from that truck.

I have seen several 10 lug D80 front axles new in crates at auctions. They are low pinion, but use some super nice double cardin CV U-joints in the front. They have real kingpins/trunnions too instead of balljoints.