Need more horse power for my Mack.

Truckie

Reaction score
I got a 2003 Mack Vision w/ a 460 Mack engine and a 13 speed. I want to get a little more horse power out of it. I don't know if the Mack computers can be reprogramed or not like the Cat's and the Cummins computers and engines. What can you do with a Mack to get a few more puppies out of it?

Thanks.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to Mack, maybe they can reprogram it.

Don't know anything about the Mack engine, But some Cats can be uprated, just depending on which ones.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
When you call Mack...............see what they can do with my B model.....LMAO!!!!!

(just fool'n with ya)

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
The 460 is pretty much top dog with the Mack engine. You can talk to your Mack dealer and see if you can talk them into the 460XT program, but I think the EPA put a stop to that. It would net you about 500HP. If you are having problems with it pulling like you think it should then maybe a 427HP program is the key for you. I know it sound funny but the torque curve of the 460 requires a very aggressive driving technique, kinda like a2 stroke Detroit. The 427 puts the power out where you would expect it to be put out at. Good news is you may not have to upgrade the turbo or injectors for either ine if memory sereves me correct. Been a while since my last HP upgrade.

Hey Freightrain,
Bring that B model by my shop sometime and I can really do it to it. Its easy to bump them up a lot. When you think you have as much as you can out of it, theres always another 100HP waiting to be discovered.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
LMAO!!! I don't think that ol 673 NON turbo is going to make much more horsepower...........and stay together ;) It's only like 50 yrs old and never touched!

I'd LUV to get big power, just like everyone else, but it gets near 10 mpg!!! Can't beat that with a stick. She makes a little smoke, just enough to show it's still running..>LOL!! Guess that will have to do. I've turned the screw on the pump a couple to make'r smoke a bit, but not going to screw up a nice running truck cookoo
Need to find me a nice ENDT673C motor...............cheap ;Sweet

Last edited:

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Dad was talking about doing something with his '95 427 a while ago when the turbo went out of it. I think it was a bigger turbo, and something to do with the fuel (pump or injectors, maybe?). It would have resulted in something like 525 horsepower, but deciced not to because it wasn't strong enough to handle it. Somebody else mentioned that the 460 was the top dog, and it is as far as that 12.7l motor goes, but I think the reason for that is that it can't handle any more power than that. I'm going off memory and second hand information, but I think 460 is all she wrote.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Like I said, they make a 460XT which produces 490HP. The new ASET 460P engine produces 480HP. As far as repowering that B model, a 237 fits nice in those frame rails. Great power and still efficient on fuel.

Truckie

Reaction score
I called 2 Mack dealers today and they said they have not heard of any such program for the 460. But one dealer told me that in mid 2006 that Mack was going to release some new engines, HP rating from 480 to around 550.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Rest assured, the 460XT program exsists. I have personally programed trucks with it. And the AC-460P has an advertised HP of 480.
In Jan of 06 we will recieve a new VOCATIONAL engine. It is a 11L engine, smaller than what we have now, and is offered up to 405HP. In Jan of 07 the 12L and 14L engines will be introduced and they will have the higher HP ratings up to 550HP. We will not be recieving the new 16L engine that is good for up to 625HP. All of these new engines are Volvo redesigned engines. There will only be the small vocational engine released in 06. I will be mid year before they show up on dealer lots unless they ordered early this year. Thats it in a nutshell. Heres some more info on the new engine and some trucks for sale with the XT engine.
http://macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=1345

http://www.mack.bc.ca/catalog/categories.cgi?itemid=149

http://macktrucks.com/assets/mack/product_specs/ac460p1001409.pdf

Last edited:

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Ya, the 237 will fit(same basic motor), but the 250 hp version is more gear friendly. It has a narrow powerband like my 170hp motor now. The 237 only needs 5 gears, but the ENDT673C(250 hp) uses the triplex like I have now.

I have a friend with 237 in his B. He doesn't like it because it makes the tranny useless! No fun to drive when you don't have to two stick it..>LOL!!

I've contemplated putting a turbo on my motor, but with NO piston oilers I don't want the chance of torchin' a good running motor. And I would probably do it some day not realizing it(pyro or not). So, since it don't hardly leak, don't hardly use a drop of oil and gets 10 mpg....I'm leaving it alone.

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Ya, the 237 will fit(same basic motor), but the 250 hp version is more gear friendly. It has a narrow powerband like my 170hp motor now. The 237 only needs 5 gears, but the ENDT673C(250 hp) uses the triplex like I have now.

I have a friend with 237 in his B. He doesn't like it because it makes the tranny useless! No fun to drive when you don't have to two stick it..>LOL!!

I've contemplated putting a turbo on my motor, but with NO piston oilers I don't want the chance of torchin' a good running motor. And I would probably do it some day not realizing it(pyro or not). So, since it don't hardly leak, don't hardly use a drop of oil and gets 10 mpg....I'm leaving it alone.
FOR SURE. Better safe than sorry any day. I love to see old trucks restoreed and repowered. I would love a B with an E-Tech in it. I do know a guy that has a 84 R model with a E-Tech. It took some money and a donor truck but he did it. It looks factory sitting in it.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
a/coolers make it tough for anything much in a B61 compartment. The big hood(like 73,75, 80's series B's) will take a big motor. If you leave a wrench on a valve cover and close my hood...it leaves an impression....LOL!!!!

Give me a decked out longgggg frame LTL, supercharged Cummins, 5x4 and some shiny budd wheels....and I'd be in HEAVEN!

But...until then I'll take my little ol B. ;)

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
Heres the chasssis of our "project" truck with the engine sitting in it. We mocked everything up and drove it and then tore it down to the bare frame rails and started restoring it from the ground up. Our goal is to make a old truck a dependable daily driver. The truck is a 1948EG mack. The engine is a 1989 B series Cummins that has been turned to the max. It is a blast to drive. Got the fenders back the other day and still waiting on the cab.

Attachments

• PDT 111.jpg
    PDT 111.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 42

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet :hail

I have dreams of that too.........but space to do it...plus the money kinda put a damper on it. Too many hobbies....too little money... cookoo
I got 3 toys that all run, but could be seriously fast hot rods, but none are done or ever will be(are they ever? ). Now I get into the big truck stuff and want to play with it too ;Sweet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online