Register to remove these ads

Thread: Detroit 4-71 Diesel

Thanks

Default Detroit 4-71 Diesel

Anyone know the fuel consumption rate on one? I don't know if it's 2 valve or 4 valve. All I know right now is that it's coupled to a 24kw generator.
    2001 F350 CC LB 4x4 PSD w/ TV, VCR, DVD :Sly , PS2, 1400watts 110v power, huskey liners, SCMT, DPPI 4x4, B&W Turnover Ball , Autometer Z Series gauges w/ ITP Blue LED replacement bulbs (EGT, Boost, Trans. Temp., Air PSI) , Bilstien shocks at the corners, custom Tymar air cleaner setup, homemade coolant filter, XM Radio, 24k BTU Tru-Cool trans cooler F350

Magnetism in motion can produce electricity, while electricity can produce magnetism.

Thanks

Depends also weather it runs at 1800 or 1200 turns.

For some reason 4 gal/hr comes to mind.....but don't hold me to it as it has been 15 yrs since I left Detroit Diesel and in the 4 moves since then , my precious Field Service Data
    book has gone by-by
    Coolers full and cold Somebody help me drink these......

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

05 Eddie Bauer Excursion 4x4 6.0. 140k mi
    285 75 16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    White Womans ride so it will stay "stock-ISH"

'96 FORK F-250 XLT bolt action
    4X4 PSD. ..Open air filter, 3.5DP-4straight exh-5"tip
    ELECTRIC FANS
    CAT ELC coolant, dual idler....
    OBSCENLY LOUD air horns VIAIR 350-C air comp
    Valair Clutch
    Nitto Terra's 305-70-16's on fact OBS alloys!

TDS refugee
    BOOB senior VP

Thanks

DOH!!!

I've never seen a 1200 RPM generator, so I take it it would be running at 1800.

4 gallons per hour is ALOT!!!!!!!!!! That's $12 per hour to operate. $288 per day.
    2001 F350 CC LB 4x4 PSD w/ TV, VCR, DVD :Sly , PS2, 1400watts 110v power, huskey liners, SCMT, DPPI 4x4, B&W Turnover Ball , Autometer Z Series gauges w/ ITP Blue LED replacement bulbs (EGT, Boost, Trans. Temp., Air PSI) , Bilstien shocks at the corners, custom Tymar air cleaner setup, homemade coolant filter, XM Radio, 24k BTU Tru-Cool trans cooler F350

Magnetism in motion can produce electricity, while electricity can produce magnetism.

Thanks

Talking

my GPH figures do sound wacked

However, Detroit did make gen sets that ran at either 1200 or 1800 and still give 60HZ
    At 1200 turns with an SG hyd govenor, 30k hrs was not unheard of....did MANY O/H at 30+k hrs with minimal wear....so long as the eng wasn't allowed to "wet stack"....

.....Oil passing the cyl due to low cyl temp...by either way to light a load,glazed liner/rings, exh back pressure too low {YES! it is possible}
    poor gov/rack adjustment

I'll try and look up the correct gph

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

ELECTRIC FANS
    Valair Clutch

TDS refugee
    BOOB senior VP

Bregan D'aerthe
    Thanks

The 4-53 genset my friend's boss has ran 35,000 hours until some idiot tried to start it with about half a can of ether. The replacement had 16,000 hours in a forklift, and has run ~1500 in the generator so far. It's an 1800RPM engine.
    Jarlnian Del'Axle, third son of Yvonnel Baenre
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Now in all the lands 'twixt bustling Waterdeep and the sparkling waves of The Sea of Fallen Stars, no men were more loved -- and feared -- than the stoic swordsman Durnan, the blustering old rogue Mirt, and the all-wise, ancient wizard Elminster."

Ed Greenwood, 1967

Thanks

Mudhog i am still looking around trying to find you a good motor around here good luck with the Detroit

Ramon
    1993 f350 srw crew cab 7.3 l factory turbo 4" straight exhaust zf 5 speed

Thanks

I turned the Detroit down and asked if he could find something smaller, so I'm still in search.

24kw is just to much and more of a fuel waste than anything. I would never have that genset at full load and struggle to get it to half load. I'd have to lug the engine more than anything and then voltage would be screwed up.

Now I went pick up a military surplus 10kw, but it's 3600 RPM and has a Hercules engine that doesn't run. Now I'll have a 10kw 3600 RPM head and a 12 KW 1800 RPM head.

Thanks

The V-16 detroits we had on the ship were 1000kw and use to suck down about 50 gph at around 80% load so 4 gph for 25kw seems like alot. On a side note, our turbines at work will suck down about 15,000 gallons per hour at full load and no that isn't a misprint.
    Dodge 3500 4X4 Quad Cab with a little 6 cylinder and a 5 speed - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Tim 1
    The V-16 detroits we had on the ship were 1000kw and use to suck down about 50 gph at around 80% load so 4 gph for 25kw seems like alot. On a side note, our turbines at work will suck down about 15,000 gallons per hour at full load and no that isn't a misprint.
    Yea I really blew the fuel #s ...been a while.

What ship? survey or Navy.....
    1000kw----16-149's

15k gph.....Thats ONE BIG turbine........I bet that doesn't get shut down very much---start up and shut down cause more wear than running.

ELECTRIC FANS
    Valair Clutch

TDS refugee
    BOOB senior VP

Thanks

I will continue in the search mopst of the stuff I have found has been 50hp and bigger out of heavy equipment hopefully i will find something smaller soon

Ramon
    1993 f350 srw crew cab 7.3 l factory turbo 4" straight exhaust zf 5 speed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geonc
    What ship? survey or Navy.....
    1000kw----16-149's

15k gph.....Thats ONE BIG turbine........I bet that doesn't get shut down very much---start up and shut down cause more wear than running.
    Yup, 16V149's, 4 of them on an FFG in the Navy. The turbines at work are GE Frame 7FA's and are rated for 177 Megawatts each, we have three of them. We are actually down right now for an outage but normally cycle them anywhere from once per week to 7 times per week depending on the market, they are pretty dependable it's the boilers and the steam turbine that don't really like the cycles. It'll catch up to us one of these days though and we'll come crashing down in a big heap.
    Dodge 3500 4X4 Quad Cab with a little 6 cylinder and a 5 speed - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"