Vacuum Pump Pulley Puzzle

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Got busy in recent months on another project vehicle.... my IDI van is jealous and wants attention! :dunno

OK, vac pump must be going intermittent ('03 date code... ya think?LOL) -- brake warning light and hard pedal. New Motorcraft pump from RockAuto in hand. (V-belt one, BTW)

But the pulley! Horror Fright has nothing that'll grab that recessed groove, without a lot of grind-modification. AutoZombie lent me the "OEM 27031" toolset, but one ridge doesn't go down into the groove, and the other just rests on the outside of the shaft, and doesn't grip.

How y'all doing this, anyway? Thanks in advance.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a good power steering pulley puller.
comes off just like a power steering pulley.
autozone ones are crap.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried using the advanced/hf and o reilly pulley pullers and none of them would grab the edge of the pulley,kept slipping..

I put mine in a press with a socket pressing the shaft down while it held the pulley and it came off in 5 seconds. Hammered it back on with the aid of propane torches because I had no other option. The HF pulley installer was useless as well..

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of HF tools are garbage. The presses are good.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
A nearby member of this board told me he'd used the "OEM" brand tool, but it needs to be ground down to fit the jaws down into the seriously recessed pulley.

Will be grinding away in the next few days; will report back.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
snap-on has the proper puller for the pulley.
if you want to do it right without distorting the pulley, use this tool.
https://store.snapon.com/Pulley-Puller-Puller-Pulley-Blue-Point-reg--P635573.aspx

This tool really is great and it will stand the test of time. Many years ago I purchased the KD pulley kit to remove or install the power steering, vacuum pump or the alternator type press on pulleys. It has worked very well. These pullers are a tool you need. Trying to use a 2 or 3 jaw puller on the outside rim of the pulley ruins it in short order...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Trying to use a 2 or 3 jaw puller on the outside rim of the pulley ruins it in short order...

Aw, Gary.... respectfully.....I know I may seem like a newbie, but...... :dunno

No worries. Will break in the new bench grinder tomorrow. Need to chamfer off the lower back edge of these halves, and I should be in business. And, using the install tool to press the pulley onto the new pump. ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was not challenging you knowledge but just attempting to make helpful comments about what I learned the hard way. I take no offence to the kindly callout either...:angel::rolleyes:;p:hail
Now about the puller piece in the pic supplied.you do know that can be flipped over and used as a puller too. My KD kit can be used several different ways because of all the different fittings. Just can't use 2 different fittings to pull a pulley. Its odd that you can gain a purchase with these tools to remove the pulley. Make a note in your mind or take a cell phone pic of the depth this pulley is on the shaft.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw, Gary.... respectfully.....I know I may seem like a newbie, but...... :dunno

No worries. Will break in the new bench grinder tomorrow. Need to chamfer off the lower back edge of these halves, and I should be in business. And, using the install tool to press the pulley onto the new pump. ;Sweet

attachment.php
i have a very small suggestion if you haven't already discovered your error. check the dia on the pump shaft to the diameter of the puller shaft. you will find the puller shaft to be larger than the pump shaft. that is the reason why the snap-on puller was made and sold. the result will be you will have taken material out of the machined bore of the pulley and when you press it back in, the pulley will be off center and wobble. i have a replacement pulley if you need one.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Whoa, I see some misunderstanding here, Calvin. NO WAY I'd be grinding on the pulley itself.... :eek:

Instead, I ground down the jaw-halves of the tool. Worked just fine!

Thank you for your interest and advice, gentlemen. Much appreciate the thought, and info on better tools! :hail:hail:hail

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Uh, guess I'm still the confused one...

Though I think what I'm reading from you, Calvin, is that the shaft of the puller would damage the inner bore of the pulley?

Well, this puller fits VERY loosely through the pulley bore.... no sign of damage.

But, you're saying there may be damage I can't see?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not all pulley pullers are alike. you got lucky on the puller having a small dia thread. no contact. no foul. i've gotten quite a few damaged pullies over the years from ones being too large.