Advice on towing mobile home

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone is offering a free 14x70 manufactured home if I can move it by the end of the month.
Ive towed a 35ft camper before, will this be much harder?

So far Ive read to check tires and brakes.
Disconnect gas or electric properly.
Secure interior and exterior
Screw door shut, secure loose siding.
What else do I need to know?

I have the bulkiest tow hitch reciever Ive ever seen. But Im not sure of the rating. The truck is lifted and everything is in working order. Is this tow doable for me?

Attachments

• 00X0X_hwg4RZ1dT4u_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_hwg4RZ1dT4u_600x450.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 40

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get a permit from dot.
It's not necessarily "safe," But it is doable.
While it may not have a lot of tongue weight, it is way heavier than anything you've ever pulled.
Having a pilot car is good to stop traffic. Wide load signs. Lights on the rear.
You should pull the siding to see if it even has axles under it. We almost always kept the axles and tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pafixitman

Reaction score
I thought Oregon had a max length of 65' so he would need permits. I would think it has / needs at least 3 axles (figure 6k each) giving him a guestamated tongue weight of 10% = about 1800 lbs ...Unless I am seriously screwed up on my thinking. Pay a company a few bucks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is probably way heavier than a class V receiver is intended to deal with. If you are getting it for free, I'd pay someone to move it. Depending on the structural integrity, it may fall apart when you try to move it anyway. Seen that happen before after they have been set in a spot for decades.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mobile homes especially the larger ones, will kill you if you give them the chance. your pickup cannot STOP a monster trailer 70ft long. also, the movable hitches they have on the backs of the big rigs make cornering and positioning. pay the $$$ and do it safely.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online

No members online now.