My bypass oil filter

clthorn

Reaction score
Another bit of info I will post on here I hope someone finds useful. I found a post on one of these forums by a guy named woodnthings and followed it. Its the same Baldwin b50 filter base and Napa's version of a b50 filter with built in restricting orifice. The only thing I did different was I ran my oil return to the back of the driver side head. There is a 1/4npt plug you can remove and install a 90° fitting. I positioned the fitting at the 2oclock position pointing towards the brake booster.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those 1/4 inch nps p0lugs are on both ends of any idi head. You did a nice install too.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

clthorn

Reaction score
IT is an additional oil filter that filters out particles the full flow filter can't. It has a more efficient beta ratio/micron rating

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like it .. you're install looks clean ..

i've been thinking of an oil bypass for awhile but .. hadn't found great instructions for doing it ..

but by searching woodnthings i found the links to instructions ..

i like it .. i think i'll do this also at some time .. thanks

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea .. it's done up like a pro .. i was really surprised that i hadn't seen this before ..

oil bypass is so common on the 'strokers .. and the oil system is pretty much the same ..

hadn't seen too many great setups .. but this one is nice .. just using a disposable spin off filter .. i like inexpensive and simple .

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice.when i did my aux oil cooler (full flow setup for that) i learned parkers black oil hose didn't have a high enough temp rating,so i opted for their blue hose.just a heads up in case that's what you went with.might be ok for a while but i would fear the hose breaking down eventually if that's what you have there.

what is the purpose of this?

How long can an oil fill be run using by-pass filtration? We've heard claims of large (Class 8) diesels going 1,000,000 miles on the same fill of oil with no harm done to the engines. We have analyzed oils which have been in service 240,000 miles and found nothing unusual in the analysis, other than higher than average iron and lead (from steel parts and bearings), and these wear accumulations were not intolerably high.

After having run many tens of thousands of diesel engine oil samples, it is our opinion that a by-pass oil filtration system is one of the most important factors in extending oil drains. If you are interested in extended oil drains, we suggest you investigate adding this type of system to your engine.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-pass-oil-filtration.php

Understanding Engine Oil Bypass Filtration

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, now I have another project to do to my truck lol

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

clthorn

Reaction score
No its the return line the pressure comes from by the oil filter

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been looking at this and considering doing it, but where is the port by the filter that you plumbed the feed into? And after reading around on this some for the powerstrokes some of the guys seem to put the return back into the filler neck for some reason, and position the filter in the engine bay, but it's probably easier to just put it where you did. Curious though, this seems like a nice addition and I'm definitely tossing around doing it to mine.

clthorn

Reaction score
The supply line is on a boss cast in the engine between the stock oil filter and transmission. It is the turbo oil supply port if you have one. And I thought about the filler neck but I didn't want a hose strung out across my engine bay.