Winter is coming...

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the colder weather comes the dreaded "hard start" or the "no start" is bound to show up. We get a lot of "My truck won't start and I replaced the batteries recently". To most here "recently" means within the past 10 years. To me it means within the past three years. Batteries wear out and can no longer hold a good charge. With good batteries comes checking ALL of your cables to make sure they are clean (No green stuff). What the cables are connected to needs to be clean with metal showing. Get on top of this BEFORE it gets cold. :)

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah not sure about this winter thing. We have been in the triple digits the last few days. In fact San Luis Obispo was the hottest place in the country on Tuesday!! 106!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rain coming our way this weekend!

Yeah we are getting rain this weekend. I hope this brings a big slow-dowm to all of the fires we have in our state of California. We just got out of a temperature of over 100 degrees, so this will be welcomed.

With the colder weather comes the dreaded "hard start" or the "no start" is bound to show up. We get a lot of "My truck won't start and I replaced the batteries recently". To most here "recently" means within the past 10 years. To me it means within the past three years. Batteries wear out and can no longer hold a good charge. With good batteries comes checking ALL of your cables to make sure they are clean (No green stuff). What the cables are connected to needs to be clean with metal showing. Get on top of this BEFORE it gets cold. :)

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was running a full-time towing operation, my friends loved me much around this time of the year. all batteries got changed out and battery connections serviced or replaced. my attitude has always been, "if you can't start, you're not making money". Where I deviate from most is my use of ether. been doing it for years with no problems. But once my trucks get started for the day, they stay running all damn day. why my vulture buddies liked about this time of the year, is most of the time, the primary battery on a two battery system is the one that gets baked. the secondary battery survives. I can't run on "maybe if", so the secondary battery still gets changed out. If the secondary battery does get baked, it will significantly reduce the life of the primary battery. therefore, you now have a vicious circle just because of being cheap.