Quick steer column question

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can a 93 column fit into a 90?

I don't care about any of the cosmetics, I just need a working tilt column.

This will be my 3rd column in 2 years. Getting pretty annoying...and no, I don't use the wheel to pull myself into the truck. If I can't find a reliable tilt steering column for these trucks, then I may need to abandon these trucks all together.

Has anyone fitted a gm column?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a 93 will not fit into a 90. in 92 they completely changed the dash design and everything to the firewall.

if you have fab skills, a GM column could work with huge amounts of wiring.
not worth it, and would look ugly.

what are you doing to destroy these columns?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess he's plowing :dunno

$270 just for the parts for a rebuild of the upper part of the column on the early models. Wow!... I'll be more careful getting in and out of my truck.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how they get wasted, other than its a farm truck and rolls more miles off road than on. It's lifted on 35" tires but I've large runnin boards and never need to use wheel to enter/exit truck.

I've got 3 columns, with random brokedness. Mostly the pot metal bits here and there...last one, the one in the truck, busted where the tilt lever linkage passes under the column...more pot metal. I'll ck oot the linky and get my other 2 columns on the bench and see what I can do. I did plan on building another column anyway, jus was wondering if the 93 would fit.
Thanks for the link jasper

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be better off to just find a non-tilt column. Seems like there would be a lot less to break. I tore down my tilt column and thought I would never get it back together. Its a PIA to get the pins back in with the tilt spring in there especially by yourself.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can change the dash to an OBS dash, then use the 93 column.
these style columns mount to a big cast aluminum piece. that's bolted to the firewall and A pillar.
if you want to upgrade your dash, I could sell ya the parts I cut off a truck so you can install this.
but you would need to find a dash still.
IMO a worthy upgrade!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ap-for-your-Brick-nose-101&highlight=OBS+dash

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had thought about tossing the tilt column, but I don't think I'd be able to get it comfortable for driving...I always have the wheel fully tilted down, and tilted up when getting in and out. Maybe that's why it's worn, I use the tilt like a tractor steering wheel.

Too bad I'd have to change the whole dash. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm not abject to doing it if it means having a reliable column.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I had thought about tossing the tilt column, but I don't think I'd be able to get it comfortable for driving...I always have the wheel fully tilted down, and tilted up when getting in and out. Maybe that's why it's worn, I use the tilt like a tractor steering wheel.

Too bad I'd have to change the whole dash. Sounds like a lot of work, but I'm not abject to doing it if it means having a reliable column.

Most people tilt it once and leave it.....Thats probably why the high failure rate. Wasn't designed for the constant use. I'm just throwing an idea out but, I know the turn indicator arm is threaded into the column on these years, Could you see if thats the case with the tilt lever also? Pull it out or whats left and thread in a long bolt? Maybe wrap it in electrical tape or heatshrink and cut the hex head off so it isn't obvious? I thought my '87 had tilt but it doesn't.....

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd make ya a good deal on 2 working tilt columns ;)

I always pull them and install a straight one. Seems like I can never get the tilt where I like it.

I normally do this to my tractors too. I upgrade the steering box and hold the wheel where I like it and have brother weld the bracket. I finally made a jig so I can do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd make ya a good deal on 2 working tilt columns ;)

I always pull them and install a straight one. Seems like I can never get the tilt where I like it.

I normally do this to my tractors too. I upgrade the steering box and hold the wheel where I like it and have brother weld the bracket. I finally made a jig so I can do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much would you want for the columns? I'd hate to not have tilt wheel in the tractors

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking of the frequent use of the tilting column, and how much it's used in comparison to other columns on the farm.
The regular ol gm column in the Steiger gets tilted on every entry exit without fail, and serves as a handle to hold you into the seat for hours on end.
The two maxxums are basically the same as the two magnums, and those are quite similar to the ford, with less linkage, and actual steel used.
Other tractors or combines on the farm are too new or to dissimilar to compare, but they also get used just as much as the door latch, like everything with a steering wheel that tilts.

It's just the garbage metal used to hold together these columns. Maybe it's designed that way to disintegrate upon impact. I've repeatedly tilted dozens of gm columns in my lifetime and never have taken apart to see the metal used in them. When I start scrappin this 93 I'll dissect that column checking for similar parts and pot metal, maybe they're more reliable. If that's the case I'd be swapping dashboards for the last design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.