130 versus 165 AMP alternator

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preparing for the cold season, looking at alternators. I don't want to do all the extra work to go to the 200+ AMP alternators as I don't have any extra electrical demand, but I'm thinking about the 165 AMP upgrade versus the stock 130 my truck has currently. My question is: the 215 AMP DB Electric version requires a little work and bigger cables to support. Is the 165 AMP a bolt in deal or do I need to update cables for the extra current?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you should be asking; Is my current alternator doing its job properly? If it is then why switch? If is is lacking, then you should switch. You will need to update the wire from the battery to the alternator to carry the added current, even with the smaller upgrade. That is a 35 amp upgrade and that is NOT small!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
updating your alt charging wire is NEVER a bad idea.
at a min, I would run another 12V +wire of the same gauge to the other battery

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks DaveBen. I upgraded starter and replaced both batteries last Fall, and of course we had a pretty mild winter. My current alternator charges ok, but the output is low at idle, I'd like to fix that but going all the way to the 215 AMP definitely requires new cables and connectors. The 165 AMP isn't that much more money, and if it's just one upgraded cable I'd still consider it, just trying to make an educated decision.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the alternators will charge much at idle. They need rpm's to do their work. If you are concerned go with the 165 amp one. 215 is made for ambulances and police cars with all of the lights, radios and other electric gear.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a properly functioning 130a 3g alt should be pumping out 100a.......at idle.:cool

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...26658-3g-alternator-facts-its-wins-agian.html

with the factory 130a 3g in both my trucks i can;

chip truck;
plow snow with electric cooling fans on.tilt the dump bed up/down if needed to transfer weight to rear wheels for added traction,listen to the radio with the amp going.

log tuck;
use the auto crane all day long,so long as the truck is idling.
(without truck running,the cranes battery will go flat inside 10 mins)

i have never been in want for more juice with either truck.im not claiming you may need more than i need but odds are high if your not doing things like this and your current 130a isn't keeping up,than you just need a replacement.

Attachments

• snow plow.jpg
    snow plow.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: