6.9 IDI block bellhousing pattern?

jeditim

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am trying to find out what the bolt pattern is on the block of the 6.9 IDI (not the pattern that the adapter creates for the transmission) Is the block pattern SAE2 or SAE3 hopefully?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think Ford used SAE patterns with the 6.9.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think it is the SAE2 pattern but not really confident in my guess. Someone who knows for sure will chime in with facts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think Ford used SAE patterns with the 6.9.

All of the IDI engines use an adapter plate for the ford transmissions. Looks like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

And installed.

You must be registered for see images attach

The underlying pattern is SAE for medium duty applications.

I think Gary is right. I think it's SAE2.

jeditim

Reaction score
Man you guys don't mess around! Thanks for the fast replies ;Sweet
Yes we are on the same page = I am looking to verify the pattern on that adapter that is up against the Block (not the pattern that touches the transmission bellhousing). I have 'heard' that it is SAE and I 'think' it's SAE but so far I have not found anyone who 'Knows' it is SAE or which one.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The medium duty trucks use a different adaptor to make them SAE 3? Maybe 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BLOCK pattern is not SAE. It is IH. Most medium duty IH idi use an SAE#2. I have seen some #3 but not many.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard also that it's a oddball international pattern. I sure would like a Ford engineer to explain why when they made their adapter for this engine, they didn't use the 460 pattern on the other side of it?

If you need a sae pattern I think you can get one from a school bus, uhaul, or a dump truck that used this engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bet the single reason for NOT using the 460 block pattern is the gas trans usually has a higher gear ration than the diesel trans.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Back at the beginning of the whole mess IH built the 6.9 to be a medium duty truck engine, some say they modified a medium duty gas engine they had (MV404?). So the BLOCK bellhousing mount pattern was set before Ford got into the picture.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is about the same story I have heard, many years ago. ;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back at the beginning of the whole mess IH built the 6.9 to be a medium duty truck engine, some say they modified a medium duty gas engine they had (MV404?). So the BLOCK bellhousing mount pattern was set before Ford got into the picture.

So Ford needed an adapter. So they made one. Why did they make it into another oddball pattern on the tranny side? I certainly would think changing a letter in the model number of the trans along with changing a gear or two would be much cheaper and easier than re-casting the whole housing of a c6 to fit some oddball bellhousing someone came up with. ZF had to have a whole separate casting just for these engines. They could have used the same 460 casting, and just changed the gears around if they had made the adapter go from IH to big block Ford.