I guess I should have replaced....

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I love the Moose Jr. and the "BB" injectors from Conestoga !!!! The truck starts and runs great.. I don't have to try and push the pedal through the floor to get down the road anymore. As I mentioned the other day I had a couple of injector lines leaking at the pump. I got the 2 new lines on this morn and running really smooth and saw no other leaks, thought " Hey...... I'll drive it to work today". Enjoyed the response and watching the speedo climb quickly, about 1/2 way had to stop at a light and felt the truck shaking a little. Took off from the light and had the same power and all.. maybe some air in the return lines still. Got to work, left it running, opened the hood and saw a drip... Crap !!! Got another line leaking at the pump, just below #3 replaced this morn, so in the morn I'll see which cylinder that is and order it.. This thing gonna put me back in the poor house.. Looks to me these IDI are equipped from the factory with constant fuel leaks...... In the last month parts that have been replaced.
IP
INJ all 8
GP all 8
Master Cylinder
Complete rear brakes(breaks for that chalk board noise)including drums
2 INJ lines

Should have just bought a complete set of new lines......

But I really like my old Ford.....still cheaper than a newer one

Ok...I'm better now :sly

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should have just bought a complete set of new lines......

This is your problem. You're gonna play onesie twosie's replacing them until you have a whole new set. But by then you're gonna have disturbed the ones you just replaced so much, that they'll need replaced again.
Get a whole return kit from Mel or typ4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are all your hard line clamps in place and in good condition? If one or more missing you'll keep having your injector lines break on you.

Same point I was going to make. They seem useless till you leave them off. That's when you find a ruff engine and fuel going all over the top spraying like a cow peeing on a flat rock.. Its quite the mess. Spoken for experience too.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the clamps are in place, the new pump came with a return kit and all installed. It's just old lines have some wear on the tips, and unfortunately some are not seating into the fittings on the new pump. Even though everything is the same minute differences in angles and worn lines are causing me grief.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the olives in the line from the fuel filter to the injection pump?

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... Didn't know if this 7.3 had olives. no leaks on that line.. just the hard injector lines from the pump

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
All the years I have been working with diesels with hard lines (a lot of other things besides IDI's) I have seldom had a line I couldn't get to seal unless it was cracked.

A few tricks I have used.

If a line is leaking DONT just tighten it more. Loosen it while the engine is running and then tighten, make love to it a little.

Tightening way past the proper torque trying to seal a leak will likely make it a permanent leak.

If someone prior bent the lines where the have to be forced into alignment to start the nuts, it will likely leak, and might be corrected by re bending it.

I usually sand the cone on the end of the line with 180 or 220 grit if it is getting worn, not a lot just 10-15 strokes in a rotary motion trying to keep the contact even.
This "fuzzes up" the metal and gives it something to form into the microscopic imperfections. FLUSH the line after before installing.

Last resort I have used: Using and old core injector, apply a small amount of fine valve lapping compound to the seat area. Work on lapping in the fit by controlling the tightness of the line nut with a wrench in one hand while oscillating the line back and for the 90 degrees to 180 degrees. Be SURE all the lapping compound is out of the line before reinstalling. Use the tighten while running technique.

I have almost never failed to get a seal with these tricks.

I usually spend a couple hours messing with injection lines on my own stuff but seldom have an issue either. I like surgical cleanliness when working on diesel injection system. That is a story for another day.

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried filing one of the lines and sanding it after but I knew I would probably get it out of round, that one and another got replaced. The line that has the drip now is toward the bottom of the IP and I can't get wrench to it. I'll probably order it next week... I thought of the injector idea, didn't have a junk injector, mine had to go back for cores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight