Rear axle set up

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched this forum for a while now and haven't found much on how to set up a new ring and pinion so I'd like to start a thread where we can talk about setting up gears, exchange tools/parts, and just share knowledge when it comes to rear axle builds. I was cursed with an open 3.07 Dana 61. A trip to the junk yard turned up an open diff 3.55 10.25 out of a gas 94 f350 for 130$. So far I'm sitting on a Detroit truetrac I ordered from summit for 565$, a master install kit that included koyo bearings and a lubelocker gasket from east cost gear supply for 230$, a set of Dana spicer 3.73 gears from jegs for 155$, a ratec solid spacer, and I'm waiting on a diff cover from under cover fabworks that is built out of 1/4" steel. I plan to have the tubes welded to the cast center, and it will all be painted with por15. I still need to locate the repair sleeve for the grove that was worn into the yoke by the seal, a 1330-1350 conversion u joint, and I still haven't been able to get a solid lead on what axle nut socket I need to change wheel seals and bearings.

If anyone wants the 3.55 gears and/or open carrier, make an offer+shipping and they're yours. The gears are in great shape. Even have a paper gasket I'd throw in

One of the questions I've been pondering on recently is if it would be safe to pull the ring gear down onto the diff by the bolts or should it be pressed on?

You must be registered for see images attach

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You should watch ericthecarguy's youtube videos on gear setup. Gives you a good starting point.
I think you would want to press the gear on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolts will pull it down its a slit press on but it's comes off and on easy just clean the two mating areas no oil so you get it all the was down . Then light lube the inside of thr ring gear.

Gears can be easy if you have the right tools but can be a nightmare if you have no clue what you are doing.

I set up alot of gears and make sure do break in period run it down the road various speeds now faster thr 55 mph for 30 to 45 mins LET IT COOL. To harden alot off people just jumps in and goes and it breaks gears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably going to buy a harbor freight 20 ton press this weekend and other than having a dedicated pinion depth setting tool and that press I already had the tools

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use an old bearing because you can get a good pattern on your gears

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use an old bearing because you can get a good pattern on your gears

Luckily the factory pinion bearing has the same part number as my new one so I'm going to hone it out and use it as a set up bearing

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same brand and part number can have different dimensions? I've seen the same part from 2 different manufactures have slight differences. I'll stick the digital calipers on as many places as I can between the 2 though. Never would've thought of that

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes. Every manufacturer has "tolerances" to meet. They can be off.
Also a lot of stuff is repackaged. Same part number, same box, different manufacturer.
While some may get lucky, I wouldn't chance it on something like a axle. Too much risk. Lol
That's why you should always get a bearing and race as a set.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Every manufacturer has "tolerances" to meet. They can be off.
Also a lot of stuff is repackaged. Same part number, same box, different manufacturer.
While some may get lucky, I wouldn't chance it on something like a axle. Too much risk. Lol
That's why you should always get a bearing and race as a set.

Oh yeah, the install kit came with a new race and bearing. Old bearing is going to get honed out so I can easily slide it off and on the pinion while changing shims

Old and new bearing

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea why same picture is there 3 times

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Got the tubes welded, now it's ready for paint :)

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First coat of por15 took the entire 4oz can and there's still some very thin spots. I will be ordering another can but it looks good so far