1990 E350 Dually Outer Wheel Stud Replacement

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. That could have been a catastrophe. Someone was looking out for you.

Pretty sure the studs are not LH. They could be 9/16 or 5/8. You probably have the Dana full floating rear axle, that's what my Class C MH has on the F350 chassis. I don't think I would try to fix it in a parking lot. To transport a mini bus is going to be $$$$$$$$$$, check it out.

Here is some pics of the axle and what your up against from an 89 manual.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • Scan.BMP-001.jpg
    Scan.BMP-001.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Scan.BMP-002.jpg
    Scan.BMP-002.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 7

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks , spent an hour scanning and posting for nothing. 4 minutes to late. Oh well, that's what where here for.

Problem Solved, but how, would be nice to know.

Last edited:

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do appreciate your time Oldbull8...Found a guy with a big enough roll back (just barely) to bring the rest of the 40 miles and dropped it at a shop not far from my house. He only charged me $200 since I had cash.

After posting this morning I went up there to pull the wheels in the light and scope it out. I realized that the axles needed to be pulled and I'm just not comfortable doing that. When I got back home I tried to delete the thread since there were no replies and I had decided to pay to have it done.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving the 1990 Ford E350 shuttle bus from Dickinson North Dakota to Denver at about 830 last night and about 40 miles from Denver the ass end started vibrating. Was in a construction zone, dark, heavy traffic, no shoulder and couldn't get pulled over for a couple of miles and when I did I found the drivers rear inside tire flat and 7 of 8 wheel studs sheared off. My daughter was directly behind me and I was just thankful that no one got hurt or killed.

Got up at 330 this am and started researching what it would take to replace the studs and got back up there around 7 to check it out. Looks like I will have to replace the wheels as well since the holes are wallowed out now and oval. Checked all the fluids and topped of the air in all the tires before leaving ND...cant find a nail in the tire so not sure why it went flat, they are only 4 years old and the bus was not loaded down. Sucks that it happened but it could have been much worse and happened much further from home.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the Integral two piece swivel nuts they are really expensive. I need 4 of them myself, last I checked they are $15 each. If I where you, I'd check the junk yards for the wheels and nuts.

Any more when I put those nuts on, I slam them on as hard as the air gun will put them on and then check with a socket and and breaker bar. especially the rear dual wheels.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be a stupid question but I figured I would need to replace these stock steel wheels because some of the holes are a bit oval now. Since these wheels are hub piloted and the weight is all on the hub with the swiveling lug nuts only purpose is to keep the wheel on...do I really need to replace the wheels?

And the pin that is on these rims I'm guessing must be for alignment to be able to air up the inside tire when needed?

Last edited:

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the Integral two piece swivel nuts they are really expensive. I need 4 of them myself, last I checked they are $15 each. If I where you, I'd check the junk yards for the wheels and nuts.

Any more when I put those nuts on, I slam them on as hard as the air gun will put them on and then check with a socket and and breaker bar. especially the rear dual wheels.

Thanks OldBull...I did find the lug nuts at O'reilly for $6 each.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?year=1990&make=Ford&model=E-350%2BEconoline&vi=1117370&keyword=611-092

Read somewhere to torque them to about 300 ft lbs.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that torque to 300 Ft lbs sounds right. I had a 35 ft Greyhound bus, wheel torque was 360 ft lbs. IIRC. I would take a socket and breaker bar with a 3 ft pipe on it and tighten nuts all I could by lifting the bar. That had the 24" wheels on it.

Hey, thanks for the Dorman nut # at O'reilly. Just got a store here a couple of months ago.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I better break out the long cheater, I know damn well mine ain't at 300ft/lb. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I better break out the long cheater, I know damn well mine ain't at 300ft/lb. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I went back and looked for that info and it was referring to Dodge duallys that are some funky mix of hub and lug piloted wheels but still believe that the torque on this thing is much more than the average beast. I wonder if not being torqued properly and the inside tire going flat caused this whole mess.

Oldbull if you dont have a Orielly by you and its cheaper for me to ship from Denver just let me know. I just picked up 8 and they look the same but haven't threaded one on.

Shop its at hasn't torn into it yet but said to save money I could source whatever parts I wanted to save money.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I sure wouldn't use wheels that the lug holes are wallowed out. I'd check the junk yards for some or put a request in the WANTED forum on here, even check the Market Place for some. The lugs fit the holes pretty close, it's not the weight, it's the torque on the lugs and that pin isn't going to stand much torque. I blew an inside tire on my Bus and it did wallow the lug holes, the outside rim was Aluminum and it didn't hurt it cause it's much thicker. Was my fault, never checked the air in it. Forgot the lugs where left hand so I kept tightening them. They where ten lug wheels.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Shuttle bus is getting all new brakes including drums, hardware, cylinders, NAPA premium riveted shoes and new studs/lug nuts and drivers side. Also found a set of used OEM wheels and hope to have it back on the road by weeks end.

I thought I did my due diligence before driving it 600 miles home. Before I left I checked the fluids and topped them off, checked tire pressure and threw a couple of cans of Seafoam in when I filled the tank. I did a visual inspection of the tires but if I would have checked the lug nuts as well this probably never would have happened. In addition the the drivers side problem, when the passenger side wheels were removed the lug nuts on that side took zero effort to remove...I took for granted that the government agency where this came from, that is required to maintain their vehicles for safety reasons, did not have the lug nuts properly torqued...not even close.