eventually...

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another,
Illiterate wannabe diesel buyer.
Somewhat surprised to see this on a work truck!
The other thing is the $1 sale price on the face of the add, then call and they add 5-0's.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Th 6.0's really aren't as bad as everyone hears. Ask Ron, and yes, even with the issues his FLA truck had, he still loves it.

Now this ad... he is selling it over just a bad EGR Cooler for a "buck" he is an IDIOT!!!! No, not like you Brian.........

My guess is the EGR Cooler failed, and instead of heeding the warning signs, which yes they will warn you, like disappearing coolant, white smoke in the exhaust..... he just kept driving it, which in turn, put coolant into the intake, into the cylinders, now we have copious amounts of STEAM and "Pop goes a head gasket"......... just a guess..... but have seen it many times before.....

Just like any other engine.... a lot of problems with the engine, are caused by the loose nut behind the wheel.......... watch what it's doing/telling you and fix it before it breaks..... (Like a leaking timing cover.... fixed before it took out bearings.......) If my above scenario is what happened, if he would have troubleshot the issue when coolant began to disappear, it would have been a few hundred dollars for an EGR Cooler..... or if he lived in a REASONABLE state a couple hundred dollar EGR Delete (one of the best things you can do for a 6.0 IMHO, removes most of the heat from the cooling system to begin with) and on his merry way. Now, the heads need to come off, be gone through, head gaskets, studs to be safe, AND still have to buy a replacement EGR Cooler that was the problem in the first place.........

Maintenance is of the utmost importance with anything mechanical............

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he is an IDIOT!!!! No, not like you Brian............

that's why I misspelt idiot as idioit lol

I do have my idiotic ways im not gonna lie!

I just threw this out there to give you 6leaker guys some greif!
:D
its Saturday and I was bored LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could even be something simpler.
Unless it was cleaned, doesn't look like the degas was puking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, I don't see a mess under the hood.... and there is a good layer of dust, so if it was cleaned, it's been a while. It looks 100% stock under the hood...... maybe someone would get an easy fix........

Replacing an EGR Cooler would be cheaper than a new truck, if that's the route the seller ultimately took..... If it was somewhere without emissions testing, it would get deleted and I wouldn't think twice about it....

I understand the manufactures chasing the emissions standards (Thanks EPA), but the amount of heat the EGR Cooler puts in the cooling system is unbelievable!!!!!!! I drove mine for a few years, with the EGR Cooler. I then developed an o-ring leak on the blue coolant supply tube for the EGR Cooler (the earlier EGR Coolers are less prone to fail). To fix the supply tube, the EGR Cooler has to be removed and reinstalled. So, I decided if it was coming off, it wasn't going back on Indiana is an non-emission state. The delete was done in the winter, before the delete, no mater the outside temp, the engine always ran at "normal operating temperature" and the heater was nice an warm. After the delete, if the outside temp is below 20 F the engine will not come up to temp. I've driven 30 miles home, from a cold start, on the interstate and when I stop at the gas station a half mile from home, the truck will kick itself into hi-ilde because the engine temp is so low........

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Th 6.0's really aren't as bad as everyone hears. Ask Ron, and yes, even with the issues his FLA truck had, he still loves it.

Now this ad... he is selling it over just a bad EGR Cooler for a "buck" he is an IDIOT!!!! No, not like you Brian.........

My guess is the EGR Cooler failed, and instead of heeding the warning signs, which yes they will warn you, like disappearing coolant, white smoke in the exhaust..... he just kept driving it, which in turn, put coolant into the intake, into the cylinders, now we have copious amounts of STEAM and "Pop goes a head gasket"......... just a guess..... but have seen it many times before.....

Just like any other engine.... a lot of problems with the engine, are caused by the loose nut behind the wheel.......... watch what it's doing/telling you and fix it before it breaks..... (Like a leaking timing cover.... fixed before it took out bearings.......) If my above scenario is what happened, if he would have troubleshot the issue when coolant began to disappear, it would have been a few hundred dollars for an EGR Cooler..... or if he lived in a REASONABLE state a couple hundred dollar EGR Delete (one of the best things you can do for a 6.0 IMHO, removes most of the heat from the cooling system to begin with) and on his merry way. Now, the heads need to come off, be gone through, head gaskets, studs to be safe, AND still have to buy a replacement EGR Cooler that was the problem in the first place.........

Maintenance is of the utmost importance with anything mechanical............

Agreed. Love mine to death literally. LOL
Selling it over a ruptured EGR cooler is mere foolishness. A Dorman cooler and labor will still run in under $1k repair. I've had my hands on one that had over 264k on the odometer and had NEVER been cracked open until I had to replace an injector. It lived its' life as a plow truck at that!! Get the problematic issues fixed, keep the fluids clean and cool and they run strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.