Front tank question

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my front tank leaks an extremely small amount out of the front of the tank if it's more then 3/4 full and facing downhill. Normally I wouldn't care, but my girlfriends parents just got their driveway done and yeah don't feel like getting ******* at for that or having to remember if I can drive the truck certain days blah blah blah.

You must be registered for see images attach

Can I just cut or rip the plastic shield looking thing off that's at the front there so I can get to the leaking spot and identify it and jb weld it? It's definitely coming from up in there as the diesel drips from the shield area and not the strap area, though it's wet there it's just blowing the drips back, I've cleaned it and filled it and found it definitely comes from up top in there.

I have that tank scary empty right now so I can fix it but just wasn't sure if that's just a shield or what this plastic piece really is. Can always jb weld or glue it back together if hacking it up is easier.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try to remove this plastic shield if possible but.. Before you do anything please get a look at the sender gasket area on the inside top of the tank. Use a flash light and get a real good look. You might find that is the leak spot.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I think we're gonna have to be on the refill it and see what happens now stage because despite that rust, I can't tell at all where it's coming from there's no obvious path or anything that I can see and up top looked fine too. Hopefully two five gallon jugs will spring a sign of where it's coming from.

Or not.. Not one solitary spot of fuel after running back and forth the lane at 3/4 a tank while using that tank. Gotta go to work so gonna leave cardboard under it in case it leaks and fill it tomorrow to the neck and see if it will leak then.

Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With that amount of rust I would recommend changing the tank; at least you get to decide when to do it - and you won't have to worry about patching asphalt!

Get some buddies lined up, case of good beer, an 18 mm socket, and lift the box off. New tank is probably $100 or so.

My tank had a drip (my front is a plastic tank though) and it was the gasket around the fuel line / sender bung on the top of the tank.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its an IDI, I wouldn't park it on new concrete.
soon as you get said leak fix, another ones bound to show up

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure of much of anything with it but it seems to have been leaking between the plastic piece and the tank and not above it. Gonna have to fill it the whole way now that it's clean to find out where for sure. Just a shame because the whole rest of the tank is rust free and then there's that one part.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"that one part" is not going to last long. Pull the box and replace! Good excuse to drink some beers (buddies help lift the box off first). Hint: brand new driveway is a nice flat surface to work on, no gravel in your back :rotflmao

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"that one part" is not going to last long. Pull the box and replace! Good excuse to drink some beers (buddies help lift the box off first). Hint: brand new driveway is a nice flat surface to work on, no gravel in your back :rotflmao

If I change it there I might as well light the fuel with a match while I'm laying in it, it would be less painful that way. Haha.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, diesel has a high enough flash point, its tough to light it with a match if it's sitting at room temperature.

Now you've had your chemistry lesson for the day. :D

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of weeks ago i changed the front tank on my F250. Exactly the same symptoms as yours and leak from same place. The whole tank was in excellent condition other than one area inside that plastic. Seam is bent upwards inside that plastic and that collects a lot of dirt etc. and inside that dirt there was a tiny hole. I have picture of it, but can't upload it right now...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of weeks ago i changed the front tank on my F250. Exactly the same symptoms as yours and leak from same place. The whole tank was in excellent condition other than one area inside that plastic. Seam is bent upwards inside that plastic and that collects a lot of dirt etc. and inside that dirt there was a tiny hole. I have picture of it, but can't upload it right now...

And is safe to search for this leak using a match! -Flame Thr

Why in hell manufactures :idiot: insist on bending the seam UP is beyond me. I just changed my rear tank... same damn thing.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not home to verify, but a leak has been confirmed. I'm sure confirmee didn't get under truck to see where from.

Can't wait to see where I'll fit this in during the current plus next two six day work weeks if it's not at a place to try patching over in the meantime. Looks like that tank is staying mostly empty for the time being.

*edit*

I stand corrected they actually did get under and look and said it was coming from and I quote "above the rib where the tank is connected together"

Wut. That makes wonder if it is leaking out of something else from the lines on top of the tanks but I didn't see anything up there at all today. Was basically impossible to see on top of the tank where I was parked in the driveway today. Wish I could teleport and look for myself. Won't be home from work until 11 and have to get back up at 5, curiosity is gonna kill me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online