1991 7.3l ATS F-250

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
Hello all,

Today someone offered me a '91 7.3l ATS F-250 with 50,000 miles on it. He wanted an Enduro (in parts) and my 6.5l 2500 GMC Turbo Diesel (needs IP).

It runs nice but needs new battery's, a little body work, steering column, A/C, tires, and a maybe a paint job.

In the long run I feel like this is a good trade, what do you guys think? Also what should I go and look out for and check for?

Also what are the best modifications to do to these trucks? Most of it will have to be done myself I assume as there isn't much of an aftermarket for it.

Thanks, Mike

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd, what cab? 2 batteries, ac, column, tires and you could be at $1500 to 2k just in refurb.

89 F-350 sc 2wd DRW 7.3 ATS 088, C-6 with Gear Vendor and a rats nest of wiring that was free with purchase.
00 Excursion limited, 6.8 4x4
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic Sport 4x4 4.0 auto

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best modifications....purely subjective

HYDROBOOST

in case I did not mention my favorite modification

HYDROBOOST....

Just sayin

HYDROBOOST

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
its an extended cab, 2wd. It is a solid 50k, vin checks out atleast. We can get 2 batteries for around $180 after trade in. My dad also sells recapped tires, can get a nice set of offroads for $420.

All in all its a broken 95 6.5l that nobody seems to know anything about vs a running 7.3 with 50k that i have knowledge about (parents have 2 7.3's).

Also the enduro is a basket case that needs the engine put in.

Sure its not a pretty rose but I need something to get back and forth from work, this truck in a few years refurbed will be worth more than the 6.5l and last me much longer.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So I think hydroboost is a good upgrade. Not real sure though. @riotwarrior what say you?

Before talking mods, you should have truck in hand. Otherwise it's all for not.

So you've heard it run in person? I mean, you said it runs nice....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
So I think hydroboost is a good upgrade. Not real sure though. @riotwarrior what say you?

Before talking mods, you should have truck in hand. Otherwise it's all for not.

So you've heard it run in person? I mean, you said it runs nice....

Yes, I have seen it running in person a few weeks back, finally settled on a deal. It sounded like it ran just fine, oil was a little old but was full.

The second gas tank also leaks when switched, says its the fuel line.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydroboost is power steering pumps fluid the the brakes system and to your steering.

It has a constant pressure so no loss of vacuum.
Better pedal response
No sponge pedal(I have this with vacuum brake booster it suck)

Overall there is only one system better than hydroboost and that's Air brake the superior braking system.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't do to many mods to the intake except cold air or intercooler for turbo.

Exhaust if it's not three inchnes yet get it. About 3.5 is a happy middle lots of people go 4 inch sound more like a rig.

if you are wanting to turn up the pump get a good pyrometer goes in the exhaust side.

EGT and trans temp are very important even if you don't turn up the pump. Them e4od keep the cool cool cool. And they are great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Appears you have an ATS turbo on the engine so nothing left to do for the intake. We really do not have any better intake manifolds for any idi engine. actually the same intake is used on ALL idi engines. Same with many other parts too. Best suggestion for exhaust is open it up to 3 inch down pipe off the turbo and then 4 inch back from there. Run no muffler. the turbo acts like a muffler by chopping up the noise signature very well. when you ask the engine to work hard it will sound louder but.. any hard working engine will sound off hauling a load up a grade too. Another grat mod is the world famous Moose Pump injection pump. they are made by conestoga Diesel Injection of Pa. Mel Agne is the owner and a long time member of this forum. You will never buy a better injection pump from anyone. No store bought pumps can compare and mostly they are junk right out the door. Do not cry when you find a "great deal" on the internet from a shark that sold you the cheapest injection pump available telling you they.. Are the best. the sad truth is those people come here asking for help after they find out they got cheated big time. These really are very simple engines to keep running. Remember to keep the engine cranking fast for best quick starts. Long grinding the starters wears them down till they crank slow. then its hard to start these engines. We have a 21 to 1 compression ratio and usually have 450 plus lbs of cranking pressure. So starters get a work out and batteries with bad cables make for hard starts. Most here like the gear reduction starters made by Mistubishi. On ebay a seller named DB Electric sells a very good starter for our engine that many here use and like a lot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hydroboost is power steering pumps fluid the the brakes system and to your steering.

It has a constant pressure so no loss of vacuum.
Better pedal response
No sponge pedal(I have this with vacuum brake booster it suck)

Overall there is only one system better than hydroboost and that's Air brake the superior braking system.

You must be registered for see images

What's that power steering control valve?
I've seen something similar on a hmmwv, but not a older ford or GM hydroboost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.