Differences between cab & chassis vs pickup

sonictech.net

Reaction score
The 84 f-250 I bought a few months back has a standard bed on it but was originally sold as a cab & chassis and had a utility bed on it for most of its life. . I've heard that the spring mounts are different on these but can anyone tell me what the other differences are?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a 250, the truck was probably sold bed delete, a cab and chassis by default is a dually F350 at minimum, the frame narrows at the back of the cab, and the rear springs are 2 1/4" wide.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Frame is 38" wide. Springs are 3" and door tag says Manufactured as incomplete vehicle.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most cab & chassis frames are actually "flat" all the way back, while the other trucks have an arch over the rear axle.

At least, that's applicable to the early 90's models per the Ford body builders guide

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My 87 f350 was an incomplete vehicle (IV), it also has a 133 inch wheelbase (along with flat, narrow chassis and narrow DRW axle), the same as a long bed single cab PU.

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what a cab and chassis is to me; no wheel arch. The width, between frame rails, is secondary.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My frame rails are 34" behind the cab and there is actually a little kink above the axle. 38" is a standard frame width.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Interestingly enough another sticker on the inside of the drivers door says "This chassis-cab conforms to ......" followed by a bunch of federal regs. I think that's what threw me off initially. I'm just happy that it appears to be a standard sized frame.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both in my yard and just swapped. They are a 93 and 96 though. Other frames are 34" from what I remember but the regular f350 had a shackle to shackle width of about 49" and the cab and chasis like 45". The springs and shackles are both narrower.

The frame on the f350 standard is around 5.75 inches under the cab loop, the cab and chasis is over 7" and has 1/4" steel on both the top and bottom of the frame.

The regular f350 frame rail width is 2 inch at the top of the channel, the cab and chasis is 3 inches wide the whole length

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller