Champion radiator question

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, my new radiator is out in the back of the shed. Do they come with the rubber isolators?

I've been looking for new ones and haven't found them yet.

Thanks!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine did not.
I stole them from a spare radiator.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Mine was not a champion radiator but the rubber parts came with it. It was a autozone aluminum one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I poked at the old radiators I have. The rubber bits are still in them so hopefully there are a couple decent ones in the bunch.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
How hard would these be to make?

I don't know what they look like, but have some 1/2" x 6" hard rubber mat and a lathe and a mill.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have never tried to machine rubber, I don't recommend it. I have tried and have had both success and failure. A hot knife would probably be a better tool choice. It wouldn't be too hard to cut them out I don't think but I'll have to look at them once I knock them out of the old radiators.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have never tried to machine rubber, I don't recommend it. I have tried and have had both success and failure. A hot knife would probably be a better tool choice. It wouldn't be too hard to cut them out I don't think but I'll have to look at them once I knock them out of the old radiators.

If you end up having to make some, liquid polyurethane would work great. Just fill the channels with it, then lower the radiator to the height on the pins you desire, suspend it till it cures (overnight).

On another note I am sending back my second champion radiator today (both damaged in shipping, ordered from Jegs) Did yours come undamaged? where did you order from? I am also a little upset that the "Monster Core" 4 row model only has 12-13 fins per inch, whereas I'm told the 3-row is 15-16. I'm ready to say F-it and drop some major bucks for a Rodney Red.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I got mine through amazon. I opened the box and looked at the fins. I didn't see any thing concerning. Could be a hole in the bottom of it for all I know. Haven't had it clear out of the box but the box looked clean.

smithman

Reaction score
I got mine through Amazon and have had no issues with it from shipping or operation. It's more expensive now than when I bought it...perhaps because they can't pack these things for $hit. I don't have the cash for a Rodney Red.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score

Yes, I've machined rubber before. I used cut-off wheels for straight cuts and sanding wheels/drums/bits to mold it.

I'm just curious how complex they are. I try not to reuse old rubber.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
I don't know if it's still true but back when I had to ship large monitors and other bulky electronics, air shipping (next day or second day) really cut down on damage.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiator was a little too narrow.those rubbers don't touch the pins anyway

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much cutting and welding as I did on my core support, all bets are off as to how its going to fit....

LOL