burning sheared synthetic oil in IDI?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the opportuninity to get some sheared synthetic oil.
DOnt know the viscosity, but this comes from a never fired engine. The engine is just spun by a dyno for 20 hours, so the oil has no soot or contaminants in it.
IMO this is the perfect oil to burn, it is synthetic though-should be no problem though yeah?

I got a 44 gal excursion tank, what ratios should I be mixing?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well I've never ran any WMO, WVO, ETC.
But I don't see what the problem would be.
I seem to recall synthetic having different manners than normal Dino WMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've burned wmo but it seems like I was avoiding synthetic for some reason.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anecdotally, a lot of folks had issues with synthetic oil in high proportions.

I'd still want to filter that oil... what sort of metal contaminants did it pick up? How was it drained, collected, and stored? There's a lot of opportunities for dirt, metal, and water to find it's way into your oil. The lack of carbon is about the only benefit of your source.

Next time you go to fill up, try throwing in a 5 gal jug of your clean oil and top up your tank. If that runs just fine, try two 5 gal jugs on the next fillup. That'll get you around 25% oil/75% diesel (+ a tad bit of oil due to residuals). I wouldn't push much more than 25% oil through an electric pump, but a stock one can chug down 100% wmo. 25% ought to be a safe figure without mucking up your diesel viscosity too bad.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my 55 gal drum filled to the brim. This stuff was not even sheared. We use it purely to flush out the previous oil. So that drum is about 50% sheared oil, 50% never used clean oil. THe environment is very clean, there is no water in the system. The testing we are doing is for a very high dollar oil co. project. The oil conditioners we use have 4 inline wix filters.
Reading alot of black diesel websites, seems the optimum way to do this is 20%RUG and 80% WMO. Key is to get it all blended properly.
I am going to pick up another empty 55 gal drum and run one of those pneumatic transfer pumps. Put in 10 gal of RUG into the new clean barrel, then dump the oil from other barrel into this one. do this a few times so it all mixes around in there nicely. I ended up putting about 3 gallons of straight oil into my tank last night, havent ran it yet. untill I thought wait...maybe this should be blended BEFORE i start putting it in...
Ill drive to the gas station today, I had maybe 5 gal of diesel left in the tank...well see if it makes it or if it start sputtering and coughing...wish me luck.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting it with RUG is just to reduce the viscosity and help contaminants drop out, and is more critical when you run 100% straight oil. Doing a 20/80 diesel/oil blend in your tank ought to be just fine without RUG.

If you have an electric pump, it may not like the oil/gas mix.

You'll also find that ambient temps will screw with you. I wouldn't recommend straight oil in a cold (less than 50*) location. Same problem as WVO, the oil gets too thick and needs to be heated.

My 92 has been on WMO for over 2 years now, and I can say that winter and straight WMO don't mix.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^thats why they say run the 20% RUG. keeps is nice and liquidy when properly mixed together from my understadning.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly true, but even with RUG it's not as thin as diesel and (if memory serves) the autoignition temp for oil is higher than diesel. So on a cold, COLD engine it's fussy to light off

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would highly recommend a pressure gage on your fuel line to the pump. This told me how thick I could safely run and when the filter needed changed before it became a problem.

I also ran into trouble sometimes just dumping oil in. It would not completely mix right away and I had trouble pulling the heavy oil off the bottom of the tank until it bounced around and mixed up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. the pressure gauge is a great idea. I too realized this mid stroke pumping the oil straigh tinto my tank...oh my god...its not just goign to mix around that easily! hopefully can make it the 2 miles to gas station to dilute it with 20 gal regular diesel!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blended my first batch of W85 last night. Im going to add another 2.5 gallons of RUG into it to make it W80 as it seems to be the magic number people seem to like.
I have 2 barrels at home, one is my blending barrel other is my pickup barrel...work told me I got another 10 barrels awaiting me over the course of a month or two! holy crap I need to start burning thsi stuff!

So i picked up a pneumatic drum pump from HF, poured in 8.5 gallons of RUG into the blending drum, then waterfalled the clean oil into it, then stuck a 2 foot extension wand into the tank and ran air through it for 5 minutes to agitate everything. My plan is to let it settle for a week before pumping it into the truck to let the air come out of it. Seems to be blended quite well to me i think..

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blended my first batch of W85 last night. Im going to add another 2.5 gallons of RUG into it to make it W80 as it seems to be the magic number people seem to like.
I have 2 barrels at home, one is my blending barrel other is my pickup barrel...work told me I got another 10 barrels awaiting me over the course of a month or two! holy crap I need to start burning thsi stuff!

So i picked up a pneumatic drum pump from HF, poured in 8.5 gallons of RUG into the blending drum, then waterfalled the clean oil into it, then stuck a 2 foot extension wand into the tank and ran air through it for 5 minutes to agitate everything. My plan is to let it settle for a week before pumping it into the truck to let the air come out of it. Seems to be blended quite well to me i think..

We never ran more than 20% RUG when we ran nasty old dump truck oil. From the Quarry. More like tar, but they was hard times and we did what we had to do. W85 with fresh synthetic is more than enough dilution. I would not do more than 10% rug if the oil is clean, the temps are moderate, and you can blend that with a bit of pump diesel.

We stuck a pipe to the bottom and bubbled air into it for an hour or more. Let it settle for a week and then vacuumed through a series of filters, being careful to draw the trash from the bottom before filtering and then keeping the pick up tube a few inches off the bottom for filtering.

It's a fun project. More so when diesel is $4.00 a gallon and you're broke. But it seems like you have the right raw stock to make it an easy decision. Good luck.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good. SO i had about hafl a tank of diesel left, and i topped it off with my W85 mix. Truck sounds very ncie at idle, smoother, deepier and steadier.
I cant tell but.i think..i think I may have more smoke crusiing around now. I mean..the truck has always smoked, regardless of injectors, or timing. TBH its still on its original IP witch unknown miles...but always starts and runs good..
DId anyone have to modify their timing when running waste oils?
Also, I suspect my fuel filter is clogged/clogging which would have an effect on timing. I got a bunch of crud in my tank previously, and i noticed a good amount of sludge in my facet pump cartridge filter. Im sure some of this made its way to the IP filter as well.
Going to change the IP filter once it gets here, drive around then report back.
Truck is definitly running on the oil as i see that nice amber yellow color in the fuel bowl rather than the normal green diesel color.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online