2001 GMC 6500 for sale> ABS issues taking it off the road. buying ?

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
customer of ours is going to sell their truck for parts or scrap.

its a fairly low hours GMC with a 3126 cat and a 6spd eaton trans. ABS is all screwed up and can't get parts anymore from GM so they are taking it off the road instead of keeping blowing money on the ABS for the annual MTO inspection.

it is only 175hp on the engine tag, was kind of surprised at that, runs ok and has a PTO with a small dump/chipper body.

I was thinking about making them an offer and driving it to my place instead of delivering it to their yard. I have a solid 67 Mercury 700 cab and front end. and lost my donor chassis (98 F800) in a fire back in 2013. this would make a decent driveline/chassis donor .

anybody have any experience on this engine? is this truck worth anything ? it does have 10r22.5s on it> kind of a strange size for around here.

was thinking of offering them $1200 for the truck. a lot to drop on a donor chassis, but I would not need to fix any of the ABS ****. just remove it and make new lines to make it pass spec for a 1967 M700 truck.

opinions and/or advice on this would be appreciated.
I've worked on these 3126 engines before but never a 175hp version, always in the 210-230hp range. I do know it has become the C7 cat engine since those days and the papa of it was the 3116 cat that only GM used back a few years ago.

cheers James

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did some digging for info on this engine and found parts are ridiculously expensive and CAT only. decided against the purchase. so it will be going back to the customer's yard next week with the dealer plate.

I like my 7.3 powerstrokes and have a surplus of them presently.
I'm going to watch for an old Uhaul International truck with low pro's and air ride. I remember seeing a couple for sale that had 7.3 idi in them. that was a few years ago but a 7.3 powerstroke in one would make a nice low toy hauler and my 67 Merc cab/front on it. I don't think a 7.3 powerstroke is any bigger than an old 475 superduty gas that came in the 60s Fseries.
;Sweet