AGM Batteries

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I've killed one of my batteries. When I had some hard starting issues I most likely over drained the batteries and now if the truck sits more than 24 hours it doesn't have enough juice to turn over. The batteries are Wally World group 65 and were both brand new 8 months ago (replaced on pro rated warranty from PO) so I'm not sure if they will warranty them again.
I believe I've ruled out a parasitic battery drain and my alternator is putting out 13.75 +/-, positive cable is new and negatives are clean and ground appears good. If I put them on the charger overnight they are strong and spin it over great.
I currently have them completely disconnected and charged them independently, one is now showing 12.7 and the other 13.3.
I am thinking about upgrading to AGM batteries and Consumer Reports rated the Diehard Gold AGM at the top of the list in group 65, but I'm afraid to buy anything from Sears because I believe they will be gone within the next 18-24 months.
So, the question is, are AGM's worth the money? If so, and cost is a major issue right now, what brand should I look at?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
From my research, (plus having one in the jetta) I like the agms.
Just do a lot of research. Gotta make sure you're not putting out too much charge voltage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't buy anything else.the fact that they won't corrode a cable under normal conditions is enough for me. Plus they generally last longer than a wet battery.I have autozone agm group 65's in my truck and an optima in my Jeep.when the wife's battery dies it will also get an agm. We have a new supplier here and they have deka agm batteries.those are rumored to be very good

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the red marine battery terminal spray and have no issues with corrosion.

If you want a durable battery I'd go with interstate. I've had an interstate in my bobcat for over 4 years, with no battery hold down, it rubbed the hydraulic pump pulley a few times, slammed into the side a few thousand times and sits for weeks at a time and I've never had a single problem with it. I have replace one optima before on a camaro I had though within 3 years. I think the under hood heat killed it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For awhile it seemed like diesels were killing optimas left and right. But I think they changed something, because lately I've been seeing more and more people running them.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the red marine battery terminal spray and have no issues with corrosion.

If you want a durable battery I'd go with interstate. I've had an interstate in my bobcat for over 4 years, with no battery hold down, it rubbed the hydraulic pump pulley a few times, slammed into the side a few thousand times and sits for weeks at a time and I've never had a single problem with it. I have replace one optima before on a camaro I had though within 3 years. I think the under hood heat killed it.

Makes me think of my John Deere 2440 tractor out in field. Got that thing running every day during the grow season. It has had the same battery for at least 6 years now and hasn't quit yet. Sits for 5 months during the winter and cranks right over when I get it out of barn every March. Never stuck a charger on it either.
Never really paid attention to it until I read your post. Gonna have to look tomorrow when I get to work to see what brand battery it has

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AGM do best with very tight voltage control....the more modern alternators are far better at cleaner tighter voltage required by computers of the moder era cars.

Look into the details of tight current and voltage control before swapping in a AGM to take full advantage of extended battery life and capability.

JM7.3CW Eh!

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're the only batteries I'll buy on my cars. Never replaced them in the truck because it came with new ones. But when they're dead, I'll go with AGMs.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I don't think they are worth the cost.
Why is a comparable flooded battery cheaper with a longer warranty if it's not as good? :dunno

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought optima red tops off eBay for 150$ a piece and they've been good to me for the 10 or so months I've had them. Had a yellow top in my wrangler for over 6 years. I'm sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I bought optima red tops off eBay for 150$ a piece and they've been good to me for the 10 or so months I've had them. Had a yellow top in my wrangler for over 6 years. I'm sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But along that, I've had a duralast gold from autozone I've been swapping from vehicle to vehicle for about that long. Normal ole flooded lead acid. Do I think it's the good battery?
Not exactly. First one failed right out of the free replacement time. Was still prorated though. Pretty sure it has a dead cell or two. That one alone won't start my start.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't never get Azone Gold batteries anymore. Had six of them in the past couple of years, in three different trucks, all of them shot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, won't be buying those again. Lol
Got a interstate back home I'll be going to before winter.

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally had to do something, the batteries wouldn't hold a charge thru the day anymore. The Walmart gold batteries in the truck were replaced last December on a prorated deal at 50% I think. So I drove the truck to Walmart to have them test them. I disconnected them so they could test and both came back bad. I was afraid they were going to give me a hard time since they were already replacements and I conveniently couldn't find the receipt from that transaction. They scanned the old scanned the new ones and told me to sign here and have a nice day! Two new group 65's in hand I got the heck out of there before they changed their minds !!

89 F-350 sc 2wd DRW 7.3 ATS 088, C-6 with Gear Vendor and a rats nest of wiring that was free with purchase.
00 Excursion limited, 6.8 4x4
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic Sport 4x4 4.0 auto