1991 7.3 A/C clutch replacement woodruff key?

noddaz

Reaction score
Biggest question. Is there a woodruff key on the compressor shaft of a 1991 F250 Diesel? I have the v-belt pulley type compressor. Bought the clutch from AZ, rented removal tool from AZ (wrong diameter tool..) And then the clutch hub wriggled free without a puller. I noticed the keyway slot but do not see keyway anywhere... So the question. Does it even use a woodruff key? I will go back to the Zone tomorrow to buy the 90° angle snap-ring pliers and return the wrong tools...

Scott

noddaz

Reaction score
keyway, keyway, where is the keyway.

Ok, so I do a little digging.. And I find this...
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like there is a keyway. Nuts.
Must find keyway.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you want to post a picture, you must hit the 'Go Advanced" button at the bottom. Now you can select the pic you want and post it and it will show up. Try it.

noddaz

Reaction score
I will try that next time.. Thanks.
Meanwhile I bought keyway stock from a hardware store to make a keyway. Just had to take a piece that was 1" long and cut it to length with a Dremal cut off wheel. Then while re-assembling the ac clutch I found the keyway. It was all smashed up and shoved way in the back of the compressor snout by the PO. Installed the AC clutch. Checked clearance. Removed and installed the ac clutch at least 6 more times exchanging shims until I had the clearance correct. I guess I could have measured the clearance needed and measured the shims and installed the correct one the first time, but what fun is that? So ac clutch installed, fire up the truck and find that there is not enough pressure in the system to close the pressure switch and turn on the clutch. I do not have a R-12 gauge set so I did not check before hand. So the next step I guess is to switch this over to R-134a.
Later...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock compressor should be splined,no keyway.what type of compressor are you working on ?