Timing light Picture/am I advanced or retarded.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Im using a ferret 765. (got one that works) I took this picture while the engine was at 2000 rpms and advance set at 7. At 9.5 it was even further away from the "0" So my pump is really Retarded correct? Just checking...before I make any adjustments.

Attachments

• 20160725_174243-1-1.jpg
    20160725_174243-1-1.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 126

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude you are so retarded! :rotflmao sorry.i couldn't help it lol.i love cheesy jokes.:D yeah,your correct,brother.tilt the ip over towards the passenger side a touch to advance it some if you'd like.
always make adjustments with the engine off.check with at least 1 nut snugged up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks advanced to me...

I would say set throttle 2 k...dial timing light to show with 0 mark on tab and slot lined up with 0 mark at tab...read the deg on timing light...about 17deg is my guess...BTDC

Maybe these threads help u out

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.dude,i am so retarded.:D i didn't even see the lines.it's easy to see and figure out which way you've got to move the ip though cus you can really advance and really retard the advance on your light so you can see watch the line change in relation to to the TDC mark and go from there.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha..yeah it is hard not to put that joke out there...I thought i should make my topic "am i retarded"

I went from 6 degree advanced to 9 and the line got further away from the 0 mark...I dint think to try and go further than 9 degrees. But the line did move closer to the 0 mark as I moved advance down 3..2..1. I will try the advance up higher in the am..b4 I mess with the pump..thanks all.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha..yeah it is hard not to put that joke out there...I thought i should make my topic "am i retarded"

I went from 6 degree advanced to 9 and the line got further away from the 0 mark...I dint think to try and go further than 9 degrees. But the line did move closer to the 0 mark as I moved advance down 3..2..1. I will try the advance up higher in the am..b4 I mess with the pump..thanks all.
Just dial timing light till marks are aligned....sime easy peasy read the timing light...calculate how far off and move correspondingly ...

JM7.3CW Eh!

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just to update. It was retarded a lot. I think I moved the pump at least the thickness of 3-4 dimes. Git her set at 9.1 or 9.2. Honestly didn't feel much of a difference...the slight puffing iffsmoke at idle is gone. I did loose three pounds of boost..but my egts were down a 100 degrees. Will need to turn up the fuel a flat or so.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Only thing worse than not knowing if this forum was helping is to try to determine what a bluury pic is trying to show us.
Just the drop in exhaust temp tells me you are no advanced instead of retarded for timing. As we get closer to after top dead center timing the exhaust heats up because the combustion fire continues to happen in the exhaust.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Only thing worse than not knowing if this forum was helping is to try to determine what a bluury pic is trying to show us.
Just the drop in exhaust temp tells me you are no advanced instead of retarded for timing. As we get closer to after top dead center timing the exhaust heats up because the combustion fire continues to happen in the exhaust.

This site is amazing..Ive learned so much about this diesel and have done all my own repairs because of it. There are some really knowledgeable people here. I really appreciate everyone's help and taking the time to post up suggestions. Im hoping I can turn up the fuel another flat to get my 9-10 psi of boost back. Im sure I will get the higher egts's with it...but I miss that boost..and I can control the EGT's.

I just noticed i bumped around a return fuel line at the fuel filter enough to make it leak. So I need to fix that. But I went out for another drive...and I do feel as if there is more power/torque...but not necessarily Horsepower...if that makes sense. I have a lance 810 slide in camper on the truck almost full time. Weighs about 1500 lbs loaded up. I wont know for sure how she does till I go on another trip up to Rausch Creek in PA ...late August and add the trailer and Jeep. Then I will get a good feel for what the changes did. :)

Thanks again for all the help...and the great customer service at GXT/Ferret. Now I have to return the bad one..but the even sent me a ups label for that.

To try and give a little back...im going to add my self to the timing registry.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Nice, Ya helped me out as well, I used this thread to get my base of what I wanted to set my pump at. I got mine to ~9.4 BTDC, I was at 2* ATDC

Im not sure of my EGTs as I dont have that hooked up yet, but I didnt lose any boost. Im wondering what is causing you to lose 3PSI??

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, Ya helped me out as well, I used this thread to get my base of what I wanted to set my pump at. I got mine to ~9.4 BTDC, I was at 2* ATDC

Im not sure of my EGTs as I dont have that hooked up yet, but I didnt lose any boost. Im wondering what is causing you to lose 3PSI??

I thought I read somewhere on this forum that changing your timing can have an effect on boost. I just turned up the fuel pump another flat and got 3+ psi back and EGTS are still lower than before by maybe 100 degrees. But Ill have a better feel for the true results later this month when I load her up and hit the hills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online