New to the world of IDI

Chrono558

Reaction score
I'm usually not one to do an introduction post on a forum, but figured I'd do one for this site since I've been lurking for a few months now for information gathering.

I had been in search of a 3/4 ton truck for some time now and wanted to have the ability to be able to haul or tow heavy loads if needed. I was originally in search of something with a 351W or 460 but had a friend steer me into looking towards something that had a Powerstroke engine in it. I started doing my research and in the process came across information on IDI engines and started to get hooked on them due to the simplicity of maintaining them (for the most part). I'm no stranger to the OBS pickups so that helps.

What I found was a little older than I would have liked, but for the condition and price I think I did pretty good. It is a 1989 Ford F250 2WD E4OD 3.55 with 121K for $3K

You must be registered for see images attach

It was recently re-painted using the Maaco special... but overall it's not too bad. It does have a few issues that I'm working on getting fixed (i.e. door striker bushings, cowl seal which was MIA, turn signal switch, rear bumper is rusting on the backside, needs shocks badly, etc.) It does need glow plugs (relay clicking) but does start and runs pretty good. I'm fairly certain that it is on original injectors and pump but for the time being I'm just going to run with them and save up to get them replaced. My immediate plans for it are to get the coolant flushed to something besides green which I'm sure does not have any SCA in it, a 3G swap and headlight relay kit upgrade.

Overall I think I did pretty good. At least I have a good base to start out with. I do have some questions to ask on certain things, such as fixing the coolant issue, but will make a new topic in the correct forum for that after I do some more research. As for now, I'm just driving it around and getting familiar with it and going from there.

Thanks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Looks like a good buy.

Green coolant can have SCA in it. When these trucks came out pretty much green coolant was the only option. Pick up some test strips. NAPA usually has them or anyplace that sells parts and stuff for big trucks. Be careful as they do have an expiration date.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm usually not one to do an introduction post on a forum, but figured I'd do one for this site since I've been lurking for a few months now for information gathering.

I had been in search of a 3/4 ton truck for some time now and wanted to have the ability to be able to haul or tow heavy loads if needed. I was originally in search of something with a 351W or 460 but had a friend steer me into looking towards something that had a Powerstroke engine in it. I started doing my research and in the process came across information on IDI engines and started to get hooked on them due to the simplicity of maintaining them (for the most part). I'm no stranger to the OBS pickups so that helps.

What I found was a little older than I would have liked, but for the condition and price I think I did pretty good. It is a 1989 Ford F250 2WD E4OD 3.55 with 121K for $3K

It was recently re-painted using the Maaco special... but overall it's not too bad. It does have a few issues that I'm working on getting fixed (i.e. door striker bushings, cowl seal which was MIA, turn signal switch, rear bumper is rusting on the backside, needs shocks badly, etc.) It does need glow plugs (relay clicking) but does start and runs pretty good. I'm fairly certain that it is on original injectors and pump but for the time being I'm just going to run with them and save up to get them replaced. My immediate plans for it are to get the coolant flushed to something besides green which I'm sure does not have any SCA in it, a 3G swap and headlight relay kit upgrade.

Overall I think I did pretty good. At least I have a good base to start out with. I do have some questions to ask on certain things, such as fixing the coolant issue, but will make a new topic in the correct forum for that after I do some more research. As for now, I'm just driving it around and getting familiar with it and going from there.

Thanks.
At that price yes very good deal. I just did a full coolant upgrade. It wasn't bad. New radiator, all hoses, water pump 100k fluid.

BE CAREFUL WITH ********water pump bolts. The 4 that go into the crankcase can easily strip out.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk