DT466, injection timing

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently acquired an 88 International S1900 with a DT466, Bosch MW pump. Runs excellent, but quite smokey, blue/whitish smoke on acceleration. It does slow down some once its warmed up but not completely. Just a light haze when you start it cold and idle but as soon as you hit the throttle, under load or not; it smokes like a freight train. Changed the oil/filters/fuel filters and have not run it enough to see if its burning much oil or if its fuel smoke. Curious to know how to adjust the injection timing as I'm thinking that it may be retarded some. Can the pump just be rotated like an idi pump?

The truck has 200,000miles on it, been sitting for 4 years. Fired right up with new batteries. Don't know if it was a smoker before it was parked. And I'm running heavy fuel conditioner

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nevrenufhp has some good you tube videos I followed to set the timing. It's fairly easy, you line the crank up to the timing you want. Then pull a cover on front of the injection pump. When the cover is off loosen the 3 bolts and line the marks up in the peep hole by turning the gear. You don't actually move the pump at all. Put it back together and walla!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Hey thanks guys. I ended up flying at it and figured it out, wow what a nice way to time a pump without needing a meter or anything. Another great thing about a 466....
So it was set at what appeared to be 23* which is what the sticker on the manifold says its supposed to be. I don't think it has ever been messed with, which is good. So, now that is off my mind as a possible contributor to the smoke, so I'm gonna just drive it more and monitor the oil consumption as that is my guess as most likely culprit.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Its not really burning any oil, so I'm now looking to the fuel system as a possible cause of smoke. I would like to know how to correctly adjust the star-wheel ("pre boost, smoke adjuster"). I realize that spinning it away from the front of the engine will theoretically reduce smoke, and I have been able to reduce mine a bit. My star wheel was turned very far towards the front of the engine, it may have been messed with in the past. Where to they normally sit when looking in through the Allen plug hole or is there a specific # of turns that its supposed to be from one end or the other or something? And what exactly is it adjusting?

As for right now, I'm trying to adjust for a reduction of what I believe is fuel smoke. As for power, its has about what an early 466 usually seems to put out. Maybe lower top end then normal, noticeable when going up hills at highway speeds.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious, but do you know if the overhead was ever ran? They got solid lifters, valves should be adjusted around 125-150k

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have no idea if the valves were ever set. That's something that completely escaped my mind. I will look into doing that. That would make sense as a contributor to low power and smoke.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Just went through all the valves, there were a few that were a bit loose, but nothing severe. I adjusted them all to .025. I don't think they have been done before, as the gasket acted like it was original, crumbled and was still painted blue on the edges.
I have not taken it for a test drive yet as I'm waiting for a new valve cover gasket. Its coming in tomorrow, we'll see.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Still smoking. A hazy blue at all times. At idle and under load and at high rpm's with no load. Not really burning much oil, gotta be fuel related I'm thinking. Its starts very well when cold so I'm assuming the compression is ok. No more blow by then normal.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Do you fellas have a rough idea on where the fuel screw and star wheel are set from the factory? It would be great to have a starting point and go from there, to eliminate a poorly adjusted pump from my possibilities of things to be causing the smoke and low power. I have ordered a boost gauge and pyro to help in diagnosing.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I believe that my turbo seals are bad, due to seeing some oil in the downpipe and seeing how the smoke doesn't really clear up once warmed up and lots of play in the shaft. So I'm thinking I will buy a new one. Has anyone dealt with JM Turbo before? There prices look fair.