Ford 2000 Windstar stalling.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming home from Dr. appointment the Van started to cut out in a kind of a rapid secession, smoothed out for a couple of miles, then stalled at a couple of stop lights. The RPM's slowly reduced to nothing then stall. OBDII code reader indicated a failed TPS. Installed new BWD TPS, same thing stalling even after a start and idling. Replaced again, same thing stalling. On a cold start the RPM's will stay up until the temp comes up to around 150*, then the RPM's will start to reduce to a stall.

Van has 98,000 miles.

Took the EGR off, not carbon upped, pulled the recommended vacuum 1" to 6" Hg on it and works fine, slowly opens like it should. At idle there is only 2" Hg., 1500 RPM it has 4" Hg.

Checked voltage to the IAC , that is OK correct.

Checked voltage to EGR Vacuum regulator "DPFE sensor", voltage increases from .20 to 5 VDC when RPM is increased like it should.

MAP sensor checks OK.

There is kind of a rumbling knock, a dead sounding knock listening to the intake manifold. Took the valve cover off front side, everything looks OK there with engine running.

When cold starting, the exhaust will blow out a little shot of black carbon water, exhaust sounds good and blows like it should, hot and no smoke. Was thinking Catalytic Converter plugging up.

Could one of the Oxygen sensors cause this?

When revving up, when it gets to ~3800 RPM it will start to chug chug chug and the RPM's will NOT increase any further.

Any ideas? Made a Video of the noise at the intake manifold. Gotta figure how to upload it to utube.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Plugged catalytic convertor should show low vacuum at higher rpms.
Did you pull the IAC to see if it's gummed up?
Fuel pressure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup pulled the IAC, looks like it was recently replaced.

Fuel pressure is 40 PSI at idle and climbs with speed up.

Tried to upload the video 5 times to utube, always an error occured.

I'll have to check the vacuum at a higher speed with a gauge, thought it was sufficient to operate the EGR just by holding my finger on the tube to the EGR.

Here is the video, finely got it uploaded to youtube.
https://youtu.be/8MWSeKBI6GQ

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, when I worked at Ford I seem to recall something about upper intake manifole O rings leaking on those. I know I did a couple and they were really simple. I dont know if thats your problem or not but might be something to look into.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
If that's a 3.0 V6, I had one in my 2001 Taurus. Mine was a 24 valve "Duratech". I did replace both the upper and lower intake manifold orings and gasket and if fixed a similar problem that you describe

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, when I worked at Ford I seem to recall something about upper intake manifole O rings leaking on those. I know I did a couple and they were really simple. I dont know if thats your problem or not but might be something to look into.

I retired from Lima engine plant in 87, just about when we started to build the 3 liter engines. Never paid any attention to the intake manifolds. I was GF of maintenance, sure was busy getting all that machinery running right.

Damn, now I'll have to tare it off, that means removing the cowl. I've already got 3 sockets buried in the engine someplace, slippery fingers. :eek: :mad:

Going to swap out the IAC and EGR vacuum control from my other Van which is a 4.2L first tomorrow, that is if my daughter brings it back to me, she thinks it's her's she's had it for so long.

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't know about any O'rings there.

You still in the junk hauling? Got 4 rims off a 2004 F250 you can have. If you want them and get over to Delphos, Ill just leave them out at King and Clay street at the garage.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's a 3.0 V6, I had one in my 2001 Taurus. Mine was a 24 valve "Duratech". I did replace both the upper and lower intake manifold orings and gasket and if fixed a similar problem that you describe

Must have been typing when you posted.
I think the 3.8 3.9 4.2 are all basically the same engine, the 3.0 is a different engine by itself.

I'll probably have to do just that.
Come to think of it just now, I had to speed up to 90 MPH entering the I-75, some ******* tried to cut me off. Cranked her WOT, shortly after that is when the problem started. That little sixer is a running SOB.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to say that it sounds like unmetered air to me. If you unplug the fans you might be able to hear is sucking if it's a big enough leak. Could do the old propane trick for finding the vacuum leaks.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm still haulin junk around for now. They keep me moving most days. Some days I might be in 3 different trucks before noon! I really have no use for the rims but appreciate the offer. I dont get to Delphos much anymore, they get handled by the Paulding yard most of the time now.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have almost the exact same van. Had some stalling issues to but mine turned out to be the dpfe regulator not varying the output. Looks like you have that taken care of though.

I have noticed it sounds like something is knocking in my plastic intake manifold. I have sprayed starting fluid around it to see if the engine revs up but it seems tight. I even pulled the top off and could not find anything making the noise off hand so I just let it be.

Might be on the more simple side but how are the plugs, I have had plugs with excessive gap cause weird issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've got this sucker torn down to the metal part of the intake, I don't see anything that could cause the knock I described.

It sure has weird looking gaskets, there is no O'rings anyplace. All of the gaskets are inset in a groove, none of them are bad.

Took the pic's, so I can make sure it goes back together right and I don't miss anything.

The cylinders are 1 - 2 - 3 from left to right on the back side, 4 -5 - 6 on the front. There was/is a little oil in the plastic part of the intake, #4 Cyl. looks like it gets hotter than the rest of them, it's dark like oil is burning on the wall of the intake hole. I'll have to see if I can figure out where the oil is coming from, it should be burning up as a mist from the valve cover PCV. No excessive oil burning, about ready for an oil change, oil level down about a pint in 3K miles.

Still have to swap out the IAC and the DFPS (Differential Feedback Pressure Sensor) from my other Van.

I can start the engine with the IAC hooked up, then disconnect the electrical to it and it will keep running, but it won't start up if disconnected. Looks like the IAC has been recently replaced, pretty shiny new.

Attachments

• DSCN0925.JPG
    DSCN0925.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0927.JPG
    DSCN0927.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0928.JPG
    DSCN0928.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0929.JPG
    DSCN0929.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0931.JPG
    DSCN0931.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0932.JPG
    DSCN0932.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a tag on the frame that says this is a 3.9 but the parts for it are all for a 3.8. No wonder I'm confused about this SOB. Been checking some of the emission components as a 3.9. It's amazing that the IAC is $82 for the 3.8 and only $52 for the 3.9, there the same but a mirror mounting.

The DPFE is a dealers only component.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Advanced auto had the dpfe for my 3.8 for $23.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to the JY today, got both DPFE and IAC, didn't make a damn bit of difference. Looking for a place to take a Vacuum check, pulled off the vacuum hose to the fuel regulator, started her up and the damn Van just keeps running, if I put the vac hose back on, it will stall. Something wrong in the vacuum circuit.
Ordered a complete set of intake manifold gaskets today, will have them Friday. Gonna tear the whole damn intake down, regasket, then go from there.
Read the whole Haynes manual last nite, they have info in different places that you would think it would be all together. Discovered there is a "motor" on the pass side end of the lower intake that controls "flappers" on both banks, couldn't move the arms that go to them. I'll see when it's all tore down.